Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

impellers on volvo diesel engines

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
winedown
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 396 Carver motor yacht

impellers on volvo diesel engines

Postby winedown » April 26th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Was wondering how long it should take to change impellers on volvo diesel engines on a 396 Carver...thx

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: impellers on volvo diesel engines

Postby Midnightsun » April 26th, 2019, 7:08 pm

First time I changed them it took me a couple of hours however I had no clue what I was doing on those engines. In my case I pulled like heck but could not get the impeller out until I realized if I turned the impeller via the pulley and pulled at the same time they easily came out. I could change them out in 1/2 and hour today but that includes moving all the furniture and tool clean up. My comments are for D6 Volvos in a 41 cmy so your time may vary. Mostly boils down to access and acquaintance with the mechanics at the end of the day.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 26th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Ya, access is everything. The engine with the pump on the inboard side is usually a matter of minutes providing everything goes as expected, it's the other engine that can turn an otherwise 15 minute job into 2 hours or more. Not uncommon for guys to cover themselves for that in a quote in case they run into problems. A lot of places allow around 2 hours per side depending on the application, again, knowing that one side will be a pain that will take 90% of that time. The key is that they charge accordingly if the job goes better than expected.

Is this something you're doing yourself or getting a marina to do it? If a marina, which one?

Topic author Canada
winedown
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 396 Carver motor yacht

Postby winedown » April 26th, 2019, 11:44 pm

Thx for the info. We are being charged 6 hrs of labour by a marina to change the impellers on Volvo diesels on our 396 Carver. We thought this sounded crazy and intend to challenge this charge.

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » April 29th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Done it many times on a 444, same engines. Easy job on the port side. On the stbd side you will need a good moving blanket to lay over the aluminum structure and it's a complete blind job.

The pump is a Johnson pump and the impeller is 09-821BT-1.

I get them here https://marinepumpdirect.com/johnson-im ... 9-821bt-1/

There are a half dozen or so 8mm screws you need to remove to get the impeller pump cover off.

There is a thin gasket there I always replace, you can get that from Volvo, it doesn't come on the kit below.

The impeller has inner threads on one side and is designed to be pulled out with a puller. Hopefully the person that installed it last installed it threads out or it's a fight to get it out.

This is the puller you want.

https://www.marinepartssource.com/marin ... 9-47163-01

The puller bolt is too short so take the bolt to a hardware store and get a longer one, maybe 1.5 - 2 longer", I forget how long mine is. Easy job with this tool.

To put it back in, use cable ties to fold the impeller blades in the right direction of rotation and lots of lube (comes with impeller kit). You slide/pull the cable ties off as you push the impeller in. Make sure the puller threads are facing out so next time you can use the tool.

Tighten the cover screws in a cross pattern (not too tight or they will break as they are very small).

Port side under 30 minutes, stbd side 1 hour plus depending on how good you are doing this without seeing.

Good luck!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 30th, 2019, 10:04 pm

What engines are we talking about here?
Is the impeller change just regular/preventive maintenance or was there an issue that indicates the impellers need replacing?

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » May 7th, 2019, 9:47 am

Viper,

Volvo Diesels on a 396 would be the TAMD63P-A

Hugo

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”