Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Aftercooler & Heat Exchanger Zinc Replacement Periods

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
FSP

Aftercooler & Heat Exchanger Zinc Replacement Periods

Postby FSP » August 7th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Hello, I'm a new owner of a Carver 405 with Cummins 6BTA5.9 330hp engines. I'm just servicing my aftercoolers and found the zincs were either gone or well overdue for replacement. Fortunately, there were no issues with the housing and cores. I'm in salt water year round. I'm wondering what your experiences are with an interval on changing these out before it's too late and they are gone or are at the point they can't be extracted.
Thanks in advance.
Frank

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Aftercooler & Heat Exchanger Zinc Replacement Periods

Postby mjk1040 » August 8th, 2019, 6:03 am

Frank doesn't your manual suggest a change out interval. Also does it suggest what type of anode your should use based on the type of water you are located in? I'm guessing 3>5 years? Then again if you have no service records, the present ones may be the originals!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 8th, 2019, 11:13 am

Under those conditions, you can't really put a number on a replacement interval as there are several variables affecting their longevity. My suggestion is that you pull the easiest one to get at every couple of months and once it's given up a third of it's mass, replace them all unless you're prepared to check them all at much shorter intervals. Under the right conditions they can go quickly but unless one of the variables changes suddenly, you should be able to come up with your own timelines after monitoring over the course of a year so you can add that task to you maintenance schedule.

The right alloy for your application is zinc though there is a move underway to aluminum for salt water as well.

United States of America
ssd1439
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 carver 396 my
twin volvo tamd63's

Postby ssd1439 » September 10th, 2019, 10:47 am

I have the volvo tamd63's and I change them once a year at end of season and they are almost gone by then. I have 3 on each engine not too hard a job.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”