Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Volvo Penta Electronic Throttles

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Volvo Penta Electronic Throttles

Postby Tireless » August 15th, 2019, 11:08 am

I am putting this out there in the event any Carver owners have similar issues with their Volvo Penta electronic throttles.

I have a 2006 Carver 44 CMY that is fitted with Volvo Penta D6 Diesel's that are controlled by the Volvo Penta electronic throttles.

I was on plane running across Georgian Bay at 3100-3200 rpms. I noticed a siginificant RPM drop on my starboard engine. The starboard throttle is the slave and sync's with the port. When I moved the throttle forward slightly the RPM's would return to the RPM's of the port side. This would continue to occur periodically.

During the same trip I was running in the channels at about 1200 RPM's and I did not have an issue. However, I have noticed while running at idle speed during locking/docking, that the same throttle will not engage the transmission when I throttle up from neutral to the #1 position. If it tap the throttle forward slightly it seems to engage the transmission at that point. This makes me believe it is not a fuel flow issue. This is also supported by the fact that my EVC does not register a fuel flow issue, as it normally would.

I was thinking about switching the wiring between Port and Starboard to see if the issue transferred from side to side, however, it is not occurring all the time and cannot be predicted.

Has anyone had this issue, and if so, what did you do to remedy the situation. I am all ears.

Greg

Topic author Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: Volvo Penta Electronic Throttles

Postby Tireless » August 15th, 2019, 12:51 pm

ADMIN: I posted this at 11:08 am today and it has already been removed from New Posts, not sure why. Would like to have Carver Owners to see it to get feedback. Thanks.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 15th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Like all topics you read once read it is removed from new post but only for the person that has read it. In other words any one who has not read it yet it remains a new post. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 15th, 2019, 12:59 pm

As for your problem, I cannot help. Do that the same Volvo controls as you but so far no issues.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP