Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Caterpillar Diesel in a 1993 430 CPMY

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Captain Cigar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 430 CPMY Twin Crusader 502's

Caterpillar Diesel in a 1993 430 CPMY

Postby Captain Cigar » July 18th, 2020, 6:25 am

Ahoy.

I am fairly new here. I am about to buy a 1993 430 CPMY. The boat interior is very nice and clean with no funky smells. The boat has 3116 Caterpillar engines. I was surprised because all the other ones I have seen advertised had Cummins Diesels. I cant find this info on the carver website so far. Are the 3116 Cats good engines? They have 800 hours on them. Sea trial is tomorrow. Anything I should be looking or listening for ? The owner told me the anchor locker drains in to the bilge. Is that true? If it is true has anyone remedied that problem or just something to live with?
Bruce Scheck
1995 430 CPMY
Lake Lanier, Ga

United States of America
Johnnykey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 98' Carver 405

Re: Caterpillar Diesel in a 1993 430 CPMY

Postby Johnnykey » July 18th, 2020, 8:24 am

Hi Captain, the Cummins powered boat will bring more money at resale. The Cat 3116 is not a "Bad" motor, it's just not the preferred motor if you had the choice. The asking price of the Cat powered boat should reflect this.

Have a real Cat guy look it over, and wait for the Oil Sample results before cutting any checks. I am assuming that the engines are to be surveyed or professionally checked out?

On the sea trial, you are looking for almost exactly the same performance from each motor, same spool up time, same wot rpm, same sounds.

This is just My opinion.

Captain Cigar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Captain Cigar » July 18th, 2020, 1:36 pm

I am totally clueless on Diesel engines. What do you mean by "spool up time"?
Yes a cat guy from a Cat dealer will be checking the engines out in addition to all fluid analysis.

With any luck this will be my last boat that has everything I want and need so hopefully resale wont matter lol. Right now its a sellers market here on Lake Lanier in Ga. If I was smart (and I'm not obviously lol), I would wait until the end of August when more boats will be available.

Thanks
Bruce Scheck
1995 430 CPMY
Lake Lanier, Ga

United States of America
Johnnykey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 98' Carver 405

Postby Johnnykey » July 18th, 2020, 4:16 pm

"Spool up" is the time it takes for the turbo to increase the intake pressure, via the exhaust pressure spinning the turbine on the turbo. A.K.A. "Turbo Lag" It sounds complicated but really it isn't.

Basically, if both motors have the almost same power characteristics, it would be very hard for one or the other to have a major problem at the time of that power cycle.

Do Not make the mistake thinking that throttle lever position means the same rpm speed. In the real world, throttles are rarely synchronized. That is were the WOT test takes importance. Your looking for almost exact (Within a few hundred rpm's) Wide Open Throttle motor speeds (RPM's), under load.

Also compare exhaust color and smoke between the two motors underway, it should be the same, clear and clean is nice. Light black smoke while turbo is catching up to fuel added per rpm, is ok.

All of this is just My opinion and could be quite easily argued by perfectionists. I'm just practical, or that's just what I think that I know.

A lot of us Sellers were very happy at time of Sale. Then very un-happy at time of replacement purchase this season. So I know what your saying about this market. lol

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » July 18th, 2020, 4:52 pm

Definitely have a Cat guy go over those engines. 3116's do not have a stellar history. Spend a few bucks and join boatdiesel.com and spend some time over there

Captain Cigar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Captain Cigar » July 18th, 2020, 7:01 pm

The deal is dead. The owner decided to keep it. great info though thanks
Bruce Scheck
1995 430 CPMY
Lake Lanier, Ga

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”