Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Cummins all of a sudden wont hit rated RPM

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
zoomiej
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 466 MY

Cummins all of a sudden wont hit rated RPM

Postby zoomiej » July 21st, 2020, 10:09 pm

For whatever reason, my 396 running 370 Cummins will not hit its rated rpm. Both engines are topping out at ~2800 rpm (should be 3300) There was growth on the running gear and bottom, which I had a diver clean. There is no increase in the boat weight and even ran today with 1/4 tank of fuel.

Is there anything from a turbo charge or fuel I should be looking for? Two engines, would one working at 100% pull the other up to rated RPM?

Looking for trouble shooting ideas please

Thanks

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Cummins all of a sudden wont hit rated RPM

Postby Viper » July 22nd, 2020, 6:49 am

When was the last time a fuel filter service was done? If you have Racor primaries, do the bowls look clear or dirty? If they're dirty, they should be dismantled and cleaned, and filter elements replaced along with the secondaries on the engines. Are your intake filters clean? Common causes for that symptom. Is there any smoke that's not normally there?

Topic author Canada
zoomiej
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby zoomiej » July 22nd, 2020, 7:21 am

Thanks Viper,
Bowls are clean but I should change the filters. No smoke whatsoever, but will take a look at the air intake side as well. Thanks for the note.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » July 22nd, 2020, 8:38 am

Even though you had a diver come by, the bottom of your boat is not completely clean. For that, you need a short haul to completely clean the bottom.
My 356 will hit 35 mph with a clean bottom. 6-7 weeks ago, my top speed had dropped to 20 mph.
Had a diver come by and after he did his job, I got up to 32 mph.
I'm going to haul the boat for the winter and fully expect to hit 35 when I splash next spring with a clean bottom and fresh coat of bottom paint including Pettit Zinc Coat paint on my running gear.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 23rd, 2020, 8:23 am

From my limited knowledge of marine diesels, it may just be that one engine is creating the problem, there by holding the other back.......now that said, you did say this was an all of a sudden occurrence.....so consider anything just recently done on board.

I can say, if I had a marine diesel powered boat, the first thing , I would join Boatdiesel forums.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
zoomiej
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby zoomiej » August 21st, 2020, 5:50 am

All good advice and thanks. Had the boat hauled and bottom done, fuel filters changed, turbo charger filters cleaned and still 400 rpm short. I suspect it is the cumulative weight of the boat from last year unless, one engine is indeed holding the other back. Thanks again for your input.

United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » August 22nd, 2020, 11:50 am

Is the shortfall only when under load (in-gear) or do you see the same thing just sitting at the dock and not in-gear? Don't run them at WOT for too long at the pier, and only after letting them warm up.

You might find the Seaboard Marine Cummins forums a great place to find answers to your engine questions.
https://www.sbmar.com/community/

Canada
Zoomie
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 466

Postby Zoomie » September 7th, 2020, 10:40 pm

It was only under load. Bottom cleaned, new filters, turbo charger filters cleaned and now just shy if rated. I suspect it is not down to the fact that I have too much weight on the boat. (Living aboard).

Thanks for all of the responses.

Cheers

Canada
Zoomie
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 466

Postby Zoomie » September 7th, 2020, 10:40 pm

It was only under load. Bottom cleaned, new filters, turbo charger filters cleaned and now just shy if rated. I suspect it is not down to the fact that I have too much weight on the boat. (Living aboard).

Thanks for all of the responses.

Cheers

United States of America
rmidgett
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Not yet acquired

Postby rmidgett » January 26th, 2022, 7:02 pm

Newbie question: how does one engine "hold the other engine back" from making full power in this situation? Assuming no synchronizer between the two engines.

bud37 wrote:Source of the post From my limited knowledge of marine diesels, it may just be that one engine is creating the problem, there by holding the other back.......now that said, you did say this was an all of a sudden occurrence.....so consider anything just recently done on board.

I can say, if I had a marine diesel powered boat, the first thing , I would join Boatdiesel forums.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”