Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

waste gate lines 396 Carver MY

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
winedown
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 396 Carver motor yacht

waste gate lines 396 Carver MY

Postby winedown » August 14th, 2020, 12:00 pm

We have recently been told that the waste gates on our volvo tamd 6 engines are seized...The feed lines have been replaced..I have heard that they can be soaked in a solvent & this should free them up...The marina is currently soaking the waste gate valve in something? but apparently they free the valves up & then they seize up again...New ones are quite expensive..Suggestions??

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: waste gate lines 396 Carver MY

Postby Viper » August 14th, 2020, 8:13 pm

Cleaning the old ones may buy you some time but when they seize up next time, you'll be paying them yet again to remove and install. Do that a few times and you may as well have replaced with new the first time. It's a tough call, the cleaned ones may last for years or you may be at this again next season. I trust they're a Volvo dealer?

Topic author Canada
winedown
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 396 Carver motor yacht

Postby winedown » August 14th, 2020, 11:11 pm

Thanks for your reply...they are telling us the cost is $1200 per waste gate valve and we need two..does this sound right..

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 15th, 2020, 12:20 pm

If you post a serial number I can look up Volvo pricing.

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » August 18th, 2020, 3:40 pm

I have a pair of the TAMD63Ps, very familiar with the waste gate sticking but no need to replace the waste gate.

Volvo has a spec of how much the valve should move for a specific amount of air pressure. A little brake parts cleaner and some compressed air fixes the problem. Have them put a little high temp anti-seize on the stem of the valve and it won't seize again, last I touched mine was 5 years ago. It's a simple job with a 3 bolts and a gasket.

The hard air line between the turbo and the waste gate sometimes brakes so keep an eye on that.

If you don't have boost gauges you may want to invest in that so you can see when the waste gates aren't working. The turbos on these motors are over sized and with the waste gate sticking you'll be pushing more boost into the motor than it was designed for.

Good luck!

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”