Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

More throttle, less speed/rpm

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Smokin Fish
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 396

More throttle, less speed/rpm

Postby Smokin Fish » September 2nd, 2020, 8:10 pm

I have a 2002 396 that I recently purchased and, as I understand, hasn't been run very much in the past two years.

I had the engines inspected by Cummins, oil changed, etc. Both starboard and port checked out and ran like monsters.

When I first took her out, I could easily do 3000 rpm and make 20 knots. The throttles were uneven when synced, but that didn't bother me too much at the time. Not to mention, the sticks were only at about 3/4 throttle. I had plenty more room to go.

As a few weeks went by, I noticed I had to push the throttles more and more forward to get more speed. Pretty soon, I had the "balls to the walls" and I was only getting 2500 rpm and making only 16 knots. And now the sticks are even when synced.

My marina mechanic thought for sure it was fuel filters (I thought it that was a good idea as she hadn't been run or cared for for two years) He changed the filters and took her out and experienced the same problem... but didn't know what else to do (great mechanic, aye?)

Anyone have experience with this problem or have an idea where to start looking for the problem?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: More throttle, less speed/rpm

Postby tomschauer » September 2nd, 2020, 9:01 pm

Are you in the gulf? If so it doesn't take long to grow a bunch of stuff on the bottom. You would be amazed at how much speed that will rob.
It can happen inland also, but a bit slower to develop the growth.

Smokin Fish
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Smokin Fish » September 2nd, 2020, 10:16 pm

No - fresh water. Even if the bottom was fouled, I should still be able to produce 3000 + rpm.

Thanks though for your input. I appreciate it!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 3rd, 2020, 9:29 am

Smokin Fish wrote:Source of the post Even if the bottom was fouled, I should still be able to produce 3000 + rpm.

Not necessarily........a fouled bottom and running gear will slow the boat down there fore not allowing the engines to make their rated rpm. There is not much in the way of prop slip so the slower you are going ( speed wise ) due to fouling the less rpm the engines make due to overloading.

This may not be your case here since the fresh water but still something to consider.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Vagabond302
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 3607 aft cabin, 1982

Postby Vagabond302 » September 3rd, 2020, 11:23 am

I just had a complete bottom job done in January 2020, May 2020, I could not get the revs up of sped.

had a dived check the bottom since he was cleaning the one next to me. Very fouled on both bottom and running gear.

He cleaned it all $2.25 per foot, more revs again and about 9 more knots. I am in fresh , the st Johns River and barnicles have been real bad this year.

Smokin Fish
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Smokin Fish » September 9th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Wow. I may have that checked. Funny how it happened so quickly, if that’s the case. Thanks for sharing your story.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 10th, 2020, 10:18 am

Vagabond302 wrote:Source of the post I just had a complete bottom job done in January 2020, May 2020, I could not get the revs up of sped.

had a dived check the bottom since he was cleaning the one next to me. Very fouled on both bottom and running gear.

He cleaned it all $2.25 per foot, more revs again and about 9 more knots. I am in fresh , the st Johns River and barnicles have been real bad this year.

Thanks for posting that. I wondered how often you guys have to get that done and how much it costs. Is the per-foot an overall length, waterline length or square foot?

Smokin Fish
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Smokin Fish » September 22nd, 2020, 6:28 am

Found out it was a restriction in fuel flow through the GPH gauge set up.

Smokin Fish
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Smokin Fish » October 15th, 2020, 9:37 am

Well, it wasn't the GPH gauges either. Exploring bad fuel and revisiting bottom fowling.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”