Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Need helps identifying model info for 1996 Kohler 8kW generator with Yanmar diesel

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
nautohm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Naut Ohm
1996 455 Cockpit Motor Yacht
Twin Cummins 6CTA 8.3 w/ ZF 301 transmissions

Need helps identifying model info for 1996 Kohler 8kW generator with Yanmar diesel

Postby nautohm » November 7th, 2020, 10:29 am

Hi,

It has been an adventure getting my new-to-me 1996 Carver 455 mechanically sound, but it seems the major stuff has been ironed out. Now it's time for winterizing and preventative maintenance.

My 8kW Kohler generator has a Yanmar motor, but the serial number label is mostly covered with paint and I can't read it. The generator is so far running great, but the prior owner used various different replacement filters and I would like to know the OEM partnumbers so I can make sure I'm using the right stuff. I looked at cross-references for the current NAPA filters and they match multiple different Fleetguard filters...

On the label I can make out the last few numbers above "YANMAR" ---------51340
And below "YANMAR" it appears to be TS22 5B 8 I'm sure the 8 is for 8kW, and there may or may not be something between the TS22 and the 5B.

Google searches on the partial numbers didn't help. I tried cleaning the paint off with acetone and it didn't come off (at least not readily). I tried scraping but seemed like it would damage the label. I tried rubbing a pencil over paper but the paint is too thick to show.

I hope you are all well in the midst of Covid-19, be smart and stay safe!

Scott
Naut Ohm

Italy
KeithS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38SS

Re: Need helps identifying model info for 1996 Kohler 8kW generator with Yanmar diesel

Postby KeithS » November 7th, 2020, 12:41 pm

The Kohler 8EOZ used the Yanmar 3TNE74 engine. The Kohler oil filter is 229678 which you can cross over if you prefer.

Topic author United States of America
nautohm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Naut Ohm
1996 455 Cockpit Motor Yacht
Twin Cummins 6CTA 8.3 w/ ZF 301 transmissions

Re: Need helps identifying model info for 1996 Kohler 8kW generator with Yanmar diesel

Postby nautohm » November 8th, 2020, 7:08 am

Thanks KeithS,
Much appreciate it.

Scott
Naut Ohm

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 8th, 2020, 8:55 am

This is the Fram version. https://www.fram.com/parts-search/ph6607

And here is the engine mounted fuel filter. https://www.fram.com/parts-search/C7517/
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”