Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

TAMD74EDC start up issue

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
the Office III
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Trojan/Carver 440 Express w/ Volvo TAMD74EDC ZF tansmission
600 hrs.

TAMD74EDC start up issue

Postby the Office III » January 2nd, 2021, 11:01 pm

Help!!! The gremlins are attacking my boat...
I’m jumping on this site because I’m sure one of the Carver owners on here may have had this issue come up. I have the TAMD74EDC set up w/ ZF transmission. About 600 hours.
I just Had my boat pulled to have a bottom job, shaft log seals replaced, all rubber below the water line, Props refurbish. Oil change, Trans serviced.. And now my Starboard engine isn’t cooperating..Very frustrating...
Port engine everything works perfect. Everything worked perfect with both motors/trans before pulling the boat out for the services.

Problem…
Starboard engine — When doing the sequence to start the boat it will not turn over. First, push the active station button and Neutral light comes on. Turn ignition and nothing but A Relay behind the dash starts clicking and it’s never done that before (Switched relay with another one, still did the same thing). And NO error/diagnostic blinking light While all of this is going on. I can then Manipulate starting the engine by pushing diagnostic button. After It turns over and starts, but not normal. It runs almost 200 rpm higher than normal. ( Normal is about 700 it running 900.) It will not shift into gear. It seems like it’s in a fail safe mode. I’ve read through all the trouble shooting booklets on the boat there’s not a scenario for this problem.

I’ve swapped all relays from other motor to eliminate that. Nothing changed..

Any help is appreciated. I’ve tried to think outside the box on this. It does have ZF transmissions. Is it possible when they pulled the shafts and did the oil service could something got out of sink where its not reading neutral or it out of gear?

Thanks,
Jon

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: TAMD74EDC start up issue

Postby bud37 » January 3rd, 2021, 5:46 am

the Office III wrote:Source of the post Any help is appreciated. I’ve tried to think outside the box on this. It does have ZF transmissions. Is it possible when they pulled the shafts and did the oil service could something got out of sink where its not reading neutral or it out of gear?

Welcome to the forum.....I kinda agree with you here.....if all was well before the service, it is highly probable someone stepped on something, cracked a hose, loosened a ground, misaligned a wiring connector etc......good luck man, it is unfortunate at the very least.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 3rd, 2021, 11:24 am

Did you already inspect the neutral safety switch and wiring?

United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: In process of buying 2000 506 with Volvo TAMD 74s

Postby Carpediem » January 10th, 2021, 11:26 pm

I'm in the middle of a purchase of a 2000 506 with the exact same issue! Last week the owner ran the boat and every thing worked just fine, I had a professional captain that runs this boat regularly give me some training on the systems as I am totally new to Carver. Same thing, port engine does not turn over after pushing the active position button, need to push port diagnostic button to start the engine and it goes into default mode 1000 rpm and no shift, error code 2-7 flashes indicating apparently failure of the throttle control circuit. I cleaned all of the connections on the port harness at the helm and the engine but that did not help. The owner is having his volvo mechanic come out to look at it. This happened to the strd engine a few months ago according to the owner and was easily fixed. Ill let you know what happens.
Rusty Mayes
Try to only boat where ducks don't walk

United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: In process of buying 2000 506 with Volvo TAMD 74s

Postby Carpediem » January 12th, 2021, 1:09 pm

I was able to correct the problem we had with our port engine fault code 2.7.
I disconnected every cable plug in harness at the engine and under the helm, cleaned with electrical contact cleaner, applied some dielectric lube and reconnected. I cleared to code and started the engine normally. I really did not see a particularly suspect connection so no idea which one was the problem but its fixed regardless. It is curious that three wires on each of the engine plugs are hard wired around the plug.
Hope you found your issue
Rusty
Try to only boat where ducks don't walk

United States of America
Tbw5959
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 2004 466 M/V Salt and Light

Volvo TAMD75's & Kohler 20kW generator

Postby Tbw5959 » September 7th, 2021, 3:03 pm

Those "three wires on each of the engine plugs are hard wired around the plug" -- was a VP "recall campaign" several years ago.

As I understand it, they had troubles with idling engines - get this - autonomously shifting into forward gear - and determined that any kind of weakness in the connection on those 3 lines was the culprit -- hence the recall campaign.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”