Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Gas boat, possible diesel genny.

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Gas boat, possible diesel genny.

Postby bud37 » April 22nd, 2021, 10:04 am

Open question to those that may know........are there any regs that would prevent installing a diesel powered generator in the engine room of a gas engine boat ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Gas boat, possible diesel genny.

Postby km1125 » April 22nd, 2021, 11:00 am

No, nothing that prevents it as long as you do it "right" with all the appropriate fittings, bonding, etc.

However, you would need to insure that the genset itself is ignition-protected or ignition-safe. Since a diesel unit would normally be installed in a diesel engine compartment it doesn't have to comply to the same requirements as a gas unit. It may, or it may not.

You also (obviously) would need to install a separate fuel tank for the genset and provide for the fill port. You should do everything you can to avoid any confusion on the fill ports between your gas tanks and this diesel tank.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » April 22nd, 2021, 11:44 am

No criticism or judgment but why not a gas one in your gas boat instead of the odd fuel storage and installation concerns of the diesel one.? Is it fuel burn/hr?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 22nd, 2021, 12:25 pm

g36 wrote:Source of the post No criticism or judgment but why not a gas one in your gas boat instead of the odd fuel storage and installation concerns of the diesel one.? Is it fuel burn/hr?

The CO factor is a big concern to many, especially down south where one may want AC all night long. ;-)
Last edited by Midnightsun on April 22nd, 2021, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 22nd, 2021, 12:30 pm

I am not doing this but have thought about it before. Now considering the shortage of gas gennies, especially 1800 rpm versions, maybe the option of a LOW rpm diesel may be a choice. Maybe these aren't viable either.

Just wondering if there are any Coast Guard/ABYC regs that speak to this particular scenario.

I mean they don't use much fuel, fume issues are greatly reduced ( safer) so the tank would be small, there are obvious considerations to take into account to be sure.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 22nd, 2021, 1:54 pm

There are definitely folks who have done it, for all the reasons you're thinking.

Italy
KeithS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38SS

Postby KeithS » April 24th, 2021, 7:38 am

Kohler, Fischer Panda, Mase, Phasor and Next Gen, all make ignition protected diesel generators.

United Arab Emirates
dlldxb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 350 Mariner

Postby dlldxb » November 13th, 2023, 8:24 am

I am late coming to this thread, but I have a similar need. No gas gen sets to be found. I looked at some of the newer boats on the market and noticed a couple of things. Outboards are becoming the preferred engine option and gas boats are coming with diesel gen sets with a separate tank. So I may have to go that route. Anyone had experience with installing separate diesel tank on a 350 Mariner?

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”