Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Add a second engine control at the stern

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: In process of buying 2000 506 with Volvo TAMD 74s

Add a second engine control at the stern

Postby Carpediem » May 16th, 2021, 3:17 pm

Has anyone ever added a second set of engine controls on the stern of a Volvo 74 TMAD powered boat? I looked in the Parts manual and don't see what Im looking for. Ill call the local Volvo dealer but wondering if anyone has ever gone down that road. On the 506 it would really come in handy to be able to single hand since my wife is not comfortable handling the lines on the bigger boat.
Thanks
Carpe diem
Try to only boat where ducks don't walk

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Add a second engine control at the stern

Postby buster53 » May 16th, 2021, 7:00 pm

I wish I could give you more info on this...a buddy of mine used to have a boat with a wired remote control box he could use standing on his back deck. When docked, he would just stow it away until the next time he needed it. This was probably 6-8 years ago and I wouldn’t be surprised if something like that was now available wireless.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 16th, 2021, 8:51 pm

There are a few companies that provide that type of system, Yacht Controller is one of them. You can control engines and thrusters.

Topic author United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: In process of buying 2000 506 with Volvo TAMD 74s

Postby Carpediem » May 17th, 2021, 12:07 am

I actually developed a wireless system to use on the Sea Ray as it had dual controls where the drives were electrically controlled with simple micro switches. I simply installed a paralleled circuit and controlled it with a commercially available wireless switch. I thought I could do the same with the Volvo system but since it is electronically controlled its not that simple. The next best thing is to have a second drive control station installed on the transom. It should be a simple mod just need to see it there is a kit available or do I need to collect all the parts separately.
Carpe Diem
Try to only boat where ducks don't walk

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”