Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Diesel bug

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Re: Diesel bug

Postby Phrancus » July 5th, 2021, 1:40 am

I read that too, but didn't get it to turn, short kick with the starter also did not help. but it ran in the end so didn't bother starting an elaborate investigation to cause and effects.

You might consider a small 'day tank' in addition to the main tanks. Keep the big ones for long trips and otherwise empty, the day tank for the short trips. Just remember to include the return hose into the same tank you're consuming from ;-)
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Phrancus » April 30th, 2022, 4:11 am

How did you sail this winter, did you get it all out?

I checked the tank and foud a bit of residue that I had not gotten out last year, added more poison, checked the filters. Engines run fine, pre-filters clean so apart from switching to synthetic diesel later on I'm not going to do much more about it now.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
Pura Vida
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 93 Carver Mariner 330. 2X 350XL Crusaders

Postby Pura Vida » May 1st, 2022, 10:04 am

For historical note, hopefully helpful to someone someday...MIL-S-8802 sealant is excellent for fuel tanks and just about any other uses. We use this on aircraft, just about anywhere...inside to seal fuel tanks, sealing outer surface panels. Good stuff, will last forever. Easily available online. I prefer the tube to mix & apply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Phrancus » May 1st, 2022, 10:27 am

Thanks for the tip. This is to seal things like hatches in/on the tank itself? Is it diesel/gasoline resistant?

I spent quite a lot of time to find a diesel resistant sealing. Previous owner used liquid gasket which is not only not resistant to diesel but also dripped into the tank....... I still can't comprehend the neglect for the future when constructing a tank without access/removal and thus forcing a later owner to emergency escapades like sawing-in access holes, trying to figure out where there internal anti-slosh panels are, and so on and on.

Ended up using cork with success on the manholes but a good diesel-resistant sealant is be good to have on a list.

Just a note: most water comes into the tank through the fuel cap / hose gaskets. And some say that water condenses in an less-than-full tank but I've also read users who never experienced that so I suppose the wisdom on this is up for grabs in the middle somewhere.

United States of America
Pura Vida
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 93 Carver Mariner 330. 2X 350XL Crusaders

Postby Pura Vida » May 1st, 2022, 3:07 pm

Yes, inside tank in contact with fuel. On aircraft, the tanks are full of riveted joints, this is what is used as the sealant and main leak prevention.. JP4/5 and Jet A fuel is all basically diesel.
There is very little,if any, shrinkage & is anti corrosive. Tack time ~4-6 hours & 24 H cure in reasonable temperatures.
I've gotten it online for ~$16/ tube.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”