Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Generator Trouble Shooting help

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
RussL
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 396 Motor Yacht

Generator Trouble Shooting help

Postby RussL » July 16th, 2021, 12:56 pm

I have. 2000 Carver 396 with a Kohler 5kw diesel generator. It ran when I bought the boat last summer, I had someone come service it but didn’t try and run it after. Last weekend we went out and it wouldn’t start. Battery is charged but it does nothing when you flip the start switch. No crank, no click, no nothing. I am wondering if there is a battery disconnect somewhere. The space is tight but I don’t see one…. Anyone know where it would be or have other ideas?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Generator Trouble Shooting help

Postby bud37 » July 16th, 2021, 1:06 pm

My guess, your service guy may have shut off the generator battery switch......just follow the wiring from the gen battery to the unit....if there is one it will be there.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 17th, 2021, 7:54 am

RussL wrote:Source of the post ..... Battery is charged....
You tested it with a good battery tester? Connections are clean and tight?

Check to see if there is a start switch on the generator and try starting it from there. Usually the switch also has an "Auto" position, if it's not left in that position it won't allow you to start it remotely from your electrical panel.

United States of America
Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2009 44 Sojourn w/ Volvo Diesel D6-500 engines and IPS drive system.

Postby Rocketman » July 19th, 2021, 7:34 am

The service guy may have left the run switch on the generator in the off position. There is a large switch (usually white) on the generator control panel at the generator. That must be in the on position for the generator to start.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”