Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine Failure Woe’s

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Re: Engine Failure Woe’s

Postby Phrancus » August 6th, 2021, 3:12 am

Good work finding that thing!

next job would be for me to throw that thing overboard a.s.a.p. and install something to kill the fire instead of have you floating around in the middle of lots of water on a burning boat, not even using the last moments to get to shore.

really, who thinks up, gets approved and sells such a stupid product. At least have one engine to stay in control, at least make it clear that it is detecting trouble or is in trouble itself and at the very very least make it waterproof!

But what am I ranting about; you have different regulations over there and I have manual fire extuinguishers, diesels and a shore nearby to beach on.
Still, on the wide open waters in your countries I would not want a motorboat without power due to a too blunt interference by a system acting beyond my control.

I realise that this is probably (hopefully) a smarter system and part of other warning and extinguishing systems on board and that it's supposed function was hampered by water ingress to the control box. But even that should have been considered (it's a boat after all) and should not force a boat powerless.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 6th, 2021, 6:43 am

Totally forgot to ask about whether your application had one of those. I agree, I'm not crazy about them either, I don't like the control taken out of my hands. Detection and alarm systems are preferable for me.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 6th, 2021, 8:22 am

Hmmm, never knew these existed. Thanks for enlightening us all. Oddly I have never seen this box on my setup and believe me I have seen every square inch of her.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 11th, 2021, 7:04 am

It should be noted that one of the reasons why they install automatic engine shutdown systems in diesel applications is because diesels ingest so much air that they can consume all of the fire extinguishing agent before it has a chance to put out a fire. While I'm not a fan of giving up that kind of control, it's the best way to give the extinguishing system a fighting chance to put out a fire. Running engines won't do you any good if there's a fire in the engine bay and will actually make things worse, especially if you're not aware there's a problem. At least a shut down will warn you that there's something wrong and also give you a chance to either take corrective measures or evacuate the vessel. I'd rather the engines shut down and the fire extinguished. It's the nuisance failures that are frustrating but a necessary evil if safety is top priority.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”