Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 530 engine removal

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Australia
aussie530carver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 530 pilothouse

Carver 530 engine removal

Postby aussie530carver » August 2nd, 2021, 7:40 pm

Hi all new member here.. i have a 1999 Carver 530 and the port engine has overheated and Cummins has stated it has to be removed to be rebuilt.... so how is this achieved.. does the galley have to be removed... has anyone on here attempted this.. any help would be greatly appreciated ...Regards Paul

United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: In process of buying 2000 506 with Volvo TAMD 74s

Re: Carver 530 engine removal

Postby Carpediem » August 5th, 2021, 1:01 am

I have no first hand knowledge but depending on the extent of the repair they are doing I would think it could be done in-situ. Many large boats have the engine installed in such a manner that the oil pan can be removed and major engine work done with out removal. If the Cummins repair center is not local they may not be in a position to do the rebuild at the dock so they would want to have the entire engine taken to their facility. Removing it would entail gutting the salon and removing the floor structure as I do not believe there are engine hatches installed. I know that is the case on my 506. Good luck with the repair. We were interested in a 530 that had a failed aftercooler on a sea trial and the engine was repaired and the boat was back on the market in a very short time so I bet it was done in place.
Try to only boat where ducks don't walk

United States of America
glynnalan
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse
"Tina Marina"

Re: Carver 530 engine removal

Postby glynnalan » October 13th, 2023, 9:15 am

I'm going thru this now. my starboard engine needs to be overhauled. i have a cummins tech coming in from CA tomorrow to come up with a plan to rebuild inside the engine room. How did yours come out?

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”