Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1990 4207 Cat 3208 replacement

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
ddjinks
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 4207 w/ CAT 3208s

1990 4207 Cat 3208 replacement

Postby ddjinks » September 3rd, 2021, 10:18 pm

Hi all - I purchased a 1990 4207 with Cat 3208 TAs a few months ago. Starboard engine was smoking when purchased and seller felt like it was fuel nozzle overfeed, so I thought that would be a fairly inexpensive fix(relatively speaking). Had a diesel tech start to work on that issue and when he took off valve cover on right side (looking at front of engine) found a bent rod and loose valve spring. Other side had three bent rods. Evindence also that engine may have over heated at some point. So much for trusting what a seller says. In any event, I've had two other people look at it and they say it's best to replace the engine. I've been told $30k-$35k. I paid $60k for the boat and was willing to put $10k into it, but not $30k-$35k. How would one get the engine out? Piece by piece down to the block and take the block out a window? There a re some other things that need fixing as well. Any one interested in a project boat for $40k? Boat is in Nashville, TN.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: 1990 4207 Cat 3208 replacement

Postby tomschauer » September 3rd, 2021, 11:08 pm

sorry for your problems. sounds like it may have overheated and tossed a head gasket. If they didn't continue to run it, and toast the cylinders / pistons, it is possible you could get away with having the heads redone.
With a bad engine, I really doubt you will see a 40k sell price. I would find a good cat mechanic and see if it is repairable.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 4th, 2021, 7:38 am

The 3208 cylinders aren't sleeved but that's not the end of the world. I'd be curious to know why it can't be rebuilt. I bet if they sold you another engine, they'd want yours in return. All depending of course on how bad the damage is.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 4th, 2021, 9:38 am

ddjinks wrote:Source of the post ....So much for trusting what a seller says. ....

ALWAYS consider the source and what they have to gain/lose based on what they say!!

I'd also be surprised if that couldn't be fixed in place. Might want to check around for some other CAT mechanics in the area... perhaps even inquire at a local heavy duty parts truck parts place. As long as the crank, pistons and cylinders are in reasonable shape, I think the rest can be done in-situ.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » September 4th, 2021, 11:07 am

I’ve got a buddy who had to replace one of his CAT 3116’s with a reman. If I recall, total cost was around $60k

ddjinks
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ddjinks » September 4th, 2021, 6:40 pm

Thanks to all for your comments. One diesel tech I talked to who is highly recommended and used in Nashville (Gary Sago-Diesel Works in Bowling Green, KY) did say not to assume a rebuild is necessary. He suggested 1st to do a cam timing check, then pull the heads to see if anything dropped down into the cylinders, scoring them, and obviously to see if heads are warped, gasket blown, etc. Then rotate crankshaft to make sure pistons all come even to the top of the cylinders, etc. If it's just a top end rebuild, it might be worth it. Problem is I still work for a living 10 hours a day and that just doesn't leave much time to arrange for mechanics, electricians, look for parts, try to fix things myself, etc. I wasn't looking for a project boat when I purchased. Agreed I might not get $40k, maybe $35k. Rather be out $25k now instead of putting in $30k-$35k+ and have a boat that's still only worth $65k-$70k. Open to suggestions, though. Cheers.

ddjinks
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ddjinks » September 4th, 2021, 6:41 pm

buster53 wrote:Source of the post I’ve got a buddy who had to replace one of his CAT 3116’s with a reman. If I recall, total cost was around $60k

Woah, let's hope it doesn't cost that much!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 5th, 2021, 8:13 am

If she's been run for a bit since the last oil change, I'd start with an oil analysis first. That might give you an idea of whether there is something going on in the bottom end that needs addressing and can help you with your final decision before you start investing time and money in tearing down the top end.

If you're looking at this from a purely financial perspective, it may not make sense to take on a huge investment in repairs, however, something attracted you to this boat and you have to decide whether that is worth putting more money into it. Personally I've never looked at my own boats that way. I never approached an investment in repairs through a financial looking glass, for me it's always an investment in fun times, priceless moments, and getting away from the daily rat race, you can't put a price on that. I do feel your pane though, I'm sure you'd rather be boating than being neck high in repairs. I used to have a wooden boat and for years I didn't care what it cost to maintain her, she turned heads, was always the center of attraction everywhere we went, and she was my pride and joy, costs meant nothing to me. What finally made me part with her was the lack of time to look after her properly, and that was keeping me off the water on what is already very short seasons up here. When the time came to sell her, the last thing on my mind was all the money I put into her, I knew I wouldn't get that back all along, what was on my mind was all the good times we had on her, that was worth every penny.

I'm sure the decision you make will be right for you. Keep us posted.

United States of America
wkeith
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 466 Aft Cabin MY

Postby wkeith » September 5th, 2021, 9:32 am

ddjinks wrote:Source of the post Thanks to all for your comments. One diesel tech I talked to who is highly recommended and used in Nashville (Gary Sago-Diesel Works in Bowling Green, KY) did say not to assume a rebuild is necessary. He suggested 1st to do a cam timing check, then pull the heads to see if anything dropped down into the cylinders, scoring them, and obviously to see if heads are warped, gasket blown, etc. Then rotate crankshaft to make sure pistons all come even to the top of the cylinders, etc. If it's just a top end rebuild, it might be worth it. Problem is I still work for a living 10 hours a day and that just doesn't leave much time to arrange for mechanics, electricians, look for parts, try to fix things myself, etc. I wasn't looking for a project boat when I purchased. Agreed I might not get $40k, maybe $35k. Rather be out $25k now instead of putting in $30k-$35k+ and have a boat that's still only worth $65k-$70k. Open to suggestions, though. Cheers.

I feel for you in your current position. I have been there with previous boats. Gary Sago keeps my Volvo's running and I trust what he says. Get him to give you a price to look at your engine and make a recommendation as to your best course of action. This could be a good winter time project and hopefully by next spring you could be enjoying your efforts. I'm local if I can be of any help.
I wish you all the best!

ddjinks
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ddjinks » September 6th, 2021, 10:27 am

Thanks again for everyone's comments. Well here's the final. A local dealer who buys, fixes, and sells (I've looked at other boats he's done), had a 1988 Wellcraft Portofino 4300 he was selling at the marina. We did a straight swap. I know, totally different type of boat, but my wife looked at it the other evening after working on the 4207 and really liked it. Even he says he's taking a risk to try to do the engine repair/changeout and other fixes needed and come out on top of expenses. Definitely feels like it will be a 6 month project, and he does a lot of the stuff himself (not engines, though). He's just a few slip down from me, so it'll be interesting to see how it progresses. Who knows...when he's finished, if my wife and I are still interested in boating, we may buy it back. Maybe that sounds crazy, but I just didn't see a way to try to work on it myself.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”