Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1990 4207 Cat 3208 replacement

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1990 4207 Cat 3208 replacement

Postby km1125 » September 6th, 2021, 1:47 pm

Glad you were able to work something out. It will be nice to actually enjoy the water rather than working through the repair. If you had been a LOT closer, I might have been interested, as those 4207's are really nice boats and one with diesels would have overcome the big objections that I've heard about them (which were all underpowered with gassers).

Good luck on the "new" boat and hope you get to enjoy it and relax!!

Topic author United States of America
ddjinks
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 4207 w/ CAT 3208s

Postby ddjinks » September 6th, 2021, 3:35 pm

wkeith wrote:Source of the post I feel for you in your current position. I have been there with previous boats. Gary Sago keeps my Volvo's running and I trust what he says. Get him to give you a price to look at your engine and make a recommendation as to your best course of action. This could be a good winter time project and hopefully by next spring you could be enjoying your efforts. I'm local if I can be of any help.
I wish you all the best!

wkeith - Thanks for the response and confirmation about Gary's (and his team's) ability. When I talked to him about options a few weeks ago, he said he could have one of his guys come down and take the heads off for about $2,000. I considered, but given other issues with boat, as I say above, just didn't see a way (or feel confident) to take care of it all. If I were independently wealthy and not working, for sure would have had it all done. At Cedar Creek by the way; how about you? Cheers, Doug

ddjinks
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ddjinks » September 6th, 2021, 3:45 pm

wkeith wrote:Source of the post Gary Sago keeps my Volvo's running and I trust what he says. Get him to give you a price to look at your engine and make a recommendation as to your best course of action. This could be a good winter time project and hopefully by next spring you could be enjoying your efforts. I'm local if I can be of any help.
I wish you all the best!

wkeith - Thanks for the response, offer of help, and confirmation of Gary's (and his team's) ability. When I spoke to him a few weeks ago about the engine situation, he offered to have one of his guys to come down and take heads and evaluate top end (~$2,000). I considered it, but given other issues with boat that needed repairs (12v short, no gauges working on either engine, melted wire harness on starboard, front head replacement, front shower sump, neither engine could be started or stopped from helms, lower throttle and shift cables..., you get the idea), I just didn't feel like putting the time or energy into it all. If I were independently wealthy and not working 60 hours a week, for sure. By the way, I'm at Cedar Creek. How about you? Cheers, Doug

ddjinks
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ddjinks » September 6th, 2021, 3:54 pm

wkeith wrote:Source of the post I feel for you in your current position. I have been there with previous boats. Gary Sago keeps my Volvo's running and I trust what he says. Get him to give you a price to look at your engine and make a recommendation as to your best course of action. This could be a good winter time project and hopefully by next spring you could be enjoying your efforts. I'm local if I can be of any help.
I wish you all the best!

wkeith - Thanks for the offer of help. Gary did give me an estimate to remove the heads and evaluate, but decided to skip and move on given other issues. I'm at Cedar Creek. Where is you boat located?

Cheers, Doug

ddjinks
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ddjinks » September 6th, 2021, 4:03 pm

wkeith - Sorry about the repeated posts, system didn't appear that it had taken my first one (and the second one) and I didn't check the 2nd page before making the third..

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 6th, 2021, 4:53 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post ....If you had been a LOT closer, I might have been interested,.....
Not if I got there first ;-)

ddjinks
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ddjinks » September 7th, 2021, 6:46 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post
km1125 wrote:Source of the post ....If you had been a LOT closer, I might have been interested,.....
Not if I got there first ;-)

Well, now you all are kind of making me feel bad for maybe giving up to early on it. I did second guess myself a couple of times this weekend, but I think what I have now will work out okay. Perhaps look for another aft cabin in a couple of years after my daugther gets in college. I'll keep posting about progress of repairs, but my gut feel is that if he does it right, he'll list it for about $95k.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”