Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Change Gear Oil in IPS 500 Drive Unit

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2009 44 Sojourn w/ Volvo Diesel D6-500 engines and IPS drive system.

Change Gear Oil in IPS 500 Drive Unit

Postby Rocketman » June 7th, 2022, 10:20 am

As the subject states, I am getting close to time to change the drive oil.
It was done while the boat was out for hauling and bottom paint the last time so that was easy enough out of the water.
The manual states that you can change in the water with a pump and adapter fitting.
Question is - what adapter fitting and pump do I need to purchase. I can't find anything on the web or in the manual that has a part number or any details.

I hate to pay to pull the boat along with the 30 mile run each way to the lift.
Would like to be able to do it myself as I do all my other maintenance.

Thanks,
Tony

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Change Gear Oil in IPS 500 Drive Unit

Postby km1125 » June 7th, 2022, 11:50 am

I helped a friend change the gear oil in his ZEUS drives, but it was off-season so we were able to do it out of the water and use the fittings on the lower unit (POD), the same way you'd do an outboard or outdrive. The big difference is volume though, and the little pump that you'd normally use would be difficult on that much lube. So I made one. Got some kitchen drain pipe and made some parts with a 3D printer and it worked great. (pic below).

However, when perusing the Maintenance manual for the ZEUS, I did also see where that system could be done in the water. There was a port right above the pod and below the transmission that you could remove and connect the adapter there. I am sure I could have used that same pump I made if we had to use this port. The information was in their Operations and Maintenance Manual, which I was able do download free. The actual Service Manual you have to pay for, but if I owned one of these POD systems, I would spring for the $200 and for sure have one.

Here is the pump I made. next to the stock "outboard" pump:
Gear_oil_pump_project.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2009 44 Sojourn w/ Volvo Diesel D6-500 engines and IPS drive system.

Postby Rocketman » June 7th, 2022, 12:11 pm

It appears that the Volvo IPS uses a special adapter to screw into the top of the drive to draw out the oil when in the water.
That is the adapter that I cannot seem to find anywhere.

Found the adapter.
Volvo part number - 990038

However, I am confused on the amount of gear oil I will need.
The manual states 7.9 Gal / 30 Liters.
When the marina did it while the boat was out of the water in Jan 2021 they charged me for 8 gallons to do both drives.
Did I get lucky and only got charged for 1/2 the gear oil?

Anyone have an idea?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 8th, 2022, 9:02 am

Post the serial number and model of the IPS unit.

Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Rocketman » June 8th, 2022, 9:38 am

IPS-C
Serial Numbers

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 8th, 2022, 4:51 pm

They take approximately 14 liters (14.8 US qt) each.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 9th, 2022, 6:58 am

I'm not a fan of extracting oil from topsides, you don't get it all, you may miss water which will sit on the bottom of the lower unit which you want to know about early, and you'll likely only get solids that are in suspension and miss those sitting on the bottom which again is something you want to catch early and assess.

Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Rocketman » June 9th, 2022, 1:54 pm

I agree. If it was easy to pull, I would do it. That is what was done last time.
I really don't want to pull the boat for just a POD gear oil change which is all it needs. I have inspected the anodes and everything else in the water by diving.
Will do the pull out and drain/fill next time.

Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Rocketman » June 30th, 2022, 3:42 pm

Come to find out, the IPS-C that I have do not have a top port to draw the oil out. You must pull the boat out of the water and drain.
Just FYI.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”