Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hour meter on Aetna digital Tachometer is over run

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Carpe Diem
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Hour meter on Aetna digital Tachometer is over run

Postby Carpe Diem » October 1st, 2022, 1:01 am

I am in the middle of a sale of my 200 506 with Volvo 74TAMD EDC engines. I have digital tachometers that double as hour meters. I never had a decent manual for the boat to understand even how to get the hours to display. The buyer's surveyor messed with the ignition switch and the Active Station button and got a figure that he thinks is the tach time. He found numbers left engine 2245 and right engine 2475. The engines have analog hour meters mounted next to them that read 635 and 627 respectively. When I bought the boat I was told the hours were the ones found on the ER meters and had no reason to believe otherwise. I had two surveys done and neither surveyor questioned the numbers. I spoke with the past two owners back to 2014 and they went by the ER meters as well. Both verified that they had operate the vessel a normal recreational boater 30 to 40 hours a year so it is very unlikely the boat has 2200 plus hours on it.
Question is, has anyone had this issue of their digital hour meter in their tach run away like this? I am trying to find a Tech with a Vodia soft ware analyzer to verify actual engine hours.
Another question is, were analog hour meters installed in Carvers at the factory or are these after market. I only have records back to 2014 on this boat.
Any help would be appreciated.

Topic author United States of America
Carpe Diem
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Hour meter on Aetna digital Tachometer is over run

Postby Carpe Diem » October 3rd, 2022, 4:16 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Source of the post I am in the middle of a sale of my 200 506 with Volvo 74TAMD EDC engines. I have digital tachometers that double as hour meters. I never had a decent manual for the boat to understand even how to get the hours to display. The buyer's surveyor messed with the ignition switch and the Active Station button and got a figure that he thinks is the tach time. He found numbers left engine 2245 and right engine 2475. The engines have analog hour meters mounted next to them that read 635 and 627 respectively. When I bought the boat I was told the hours were the ones found on the ER meters and had no reason to believe otherwise. I had two surveys done and neither surveyor questioned the numbers. I spoke with the past two owners back to 2014 and they went by the ER meters as well. Both verified that they had operate the vessel a normal recreational boater 30 to 40 hours a year so it is very unlikely the boat has 2200 plus hours on it.
Question is, has anyone had this issue of their digital hour meter in their tach run away like this? I am trying to find a Tech with a Vodia soft ware analyzer to verify actual engine hours.
Another question is, were analog hour meters installed in Carvers at the factory or are these after market. I only have records back to 2014 on this boat.
Any help would be appreciated.

Problem resolved. The tachometers installed on my 506 do not record hours. My buyer hired an idiot for the survey who cave counsel to the buyer about subject that he had little to no knowledge just about queering our deal. It made me do about ten hours worth of research to prove that the hobbs meters were indeed correct as they are OEM units. If Carver produced a decent manual for the boat I would have better understanding.

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Re: Hour meter on Aetna digital Tachometer is over run

Postby KyleR » February 19th, 2023, 9:09 am

Thanks for the follow-up. Did you ever determine what the numbers 2245 and 2475 referenced?
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”