Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Magnetic switches

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
mjmason1
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver Voyager 530

Magnetic switches

Postby mjmason1 » January 22nd, 2023, 10:02 pm

Does anyone know what these magnetic switches actually do. One of my port side ones are burnt.
IMG_8267.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Magnetic switches

Postby km1125 » January 23rd, 2023, 9:23 am

What engines do you have?

Could they (or one of them) be for the glow plugs?

United States of America
Sgodfrey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 450 Voyager

Postby Sgodfrey » January 23rd, 2023, 12:51 pm

Looks like you have Cummins 6cta engines. Sbmar.com seaboard marine is the place to get help on the engines. They have the electrical diagram on their site.

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » February 21st, 2023, 8:01 pm

I'm guess you have three switches per engine? Two are for the aftercooler air heaters and one is for the main engine starter, if I remember correctly.

My aftercooler ones were burnt up also so I pulled the aftercooler heater fuse to disable the whole system - it looked like it was a fire waiting to happen! After running the boat for 6 months with no discernable difference, I removed the entire system (mag switches, wiring harness, etc) which just cleaned up the whole area of the engine a lot!

Now if you are up north and routinely run the boat in the winter, that heater definitely helps with starts! But an oil pan heater will do the same with a lot less wiring. Since we stay away from the cold I have found no impact removing the system.

As mentioned, a lot about this can be found on the SeaBoard Marine website which is where I found out about disabling/removing the system if it is unnecessary. YMMV. ;-)
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”