Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Over heating port engine

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Jay Fusaro
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 445 Aft Cabin

Over heating port engine

Postby Jay Fusaro » April 6th, 2023, 1:12 pm

Hi all - our new to us port engine ('98 445 with Cummins 6CTA 8.3L Diamond Series, 300 hrs) is overheating when it hits 2,000 rpm. It runs all day 1800 or below but once it hits 2k the temp climbs. Once you back off the throttles and go below 2,000 the temp drops down to 160-180. The prior owner did acknowledge that the impeller broke apart and both he and my mechanic have fished out pieces of it. (we did buy the boat knowing this issues and asked for and received a decent price concession as a result) There is the chance other pieces are lodged someplace and we're looking. Any other thoughts on a possible cause that we're not thinking about? Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Jay

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Over heating port engine

Postby km1125 » April 6th, 2023, 1:36 pm

yea, definitely should tear some stuff apart to see if you can find all the pieces. If that engine has an intercooler (or aftercooler) you might want to have that popped open to see if the passages in there are clean too.

Do you know if the current impeller is still in good shape? I've seen new ones not last for very long, so it might be a simple fix.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » April 6th, 2023, 1:40 pm

It almost seems like a flow issue. Engines are close cooled, however, sea water not able to keep the engines cool at higher RPMs. Sounds like you may have already figured out what the issue is. May have to start removing some things to check for the blockage.

Make sure you coolant levels are good, as well.

Just my thoughts, however, I guess there are other things that could cause the problem.

Greg

Jay Fusaro
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Jay Fusaro » April 6th, 2023, 1:57 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post yea, definitely should tear some stuff apart to see if you can find all the pieces. If that engine has an intercooler (or aftercooler) you might want to have that popped open to see if the passages in there are clean too.

Do you know if the current impeller is still in good shape? I've seen new ones not last for very long, so it might be a simple fix.

Thank you - yes it does have an aftercooler - as you can imagine it's a PIA to take the top off because the access to the engines is by lifting up the stairs from the dinette rather than the salon floor :banghead: If we run out of places to look I see a new hatch in my future.

Jay Fusaro
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Jay Fusaro » April 6th, 2023, 2:01 pm

Tireless wrote:Source of the post It almost seems like a flow issue. Engines are close cooled, however, sea water not able to keep the engines cool at higher RPMs. Sounds like you may have already figured out what the issue is. May have to start removing some things to check for the blockage.

Make sure you coolant levels are good, as well.

Just my thoughts, however, I guess there are other things that could cause the problem.

Greg

Thanks Greg - that's what we're thinking (flow issue). Coolant level is good and the new impeller has been inspected. We really believe we missed a piece of the old impeller - I'm just trying to be sure that we're not missing another possibility.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 6th, 2023, 2:27 pm

Have your cooling system pressure tested if you can after looking for all the bits.......there can be all sorts in the heat exchanger tubes. (scale etc )
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Jay Fusaro
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Jay Fusaro » April 6th, 2023, 3:46 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Have your cooling system pressure tested if you can after looking for all the bits.......there can be all sorts in the heat exchanger tubes. (scale etc )

Good idea! I didn't think of that. Thank you.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » April 7th, 2023, 1:32 am

When taking things apart, flush parts with a hose in both directions and check where it comes out. Easy if the boat is on land but in the water try to have an exit hose flush into a bucket/strainer. The first so you can dislodge a piece that is stuck in the usual direction of the flow and the latter to make sure that you know what did come out.

I've had this with my engines (with sterndrives) and you just keep worrying if you flush, solve the issue but are not sure you got it all out. In fact, the problem reoccurred some time later after a piece that was moved by the flushing relocated itself. Luckily it came out right at the first hose I disconnected but it was not a good experience.

It's a big design failure that a desintegrating impeller can move upflow in big enough pieces to block a heat exchanger.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 7th, 2023, 8:04 am

I found that using a shop vac to find the pieces is easier than flushing. It's hard to get the volume high enough with flushing. You can also adapt a smaller hose to the shopvac that fits inside the water hoses, so it extends the shopvac suction all the way to the other end of a hose. Use something like the flexible bilge pump hoses and tape it to the shopvac hose, then slide the bilge pump hose into the water hose.

Had a friend just do that on his genset. The impeller was easy to change but the old one was missing pieces. It would have been quite a job to get down to where the heat exchanger was on the generator to get the hoses off there, but he could slide the bilge pump hose into the water hose starting at the water pump, and slide it all the way down to the heat exchanger and got all the missing pieces out.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 7th, 2023, 10:58 am

This really could just be a case of the heat exchanger being scaled up. The impeller bits restrict flow then the temps go up causing scale to form.....you clean out the bits but the scale is now there impeding heat transfer, much like a bad rad on a vehicle overheating when put under stress.....we will see though....still need to cross some things off the list.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”