Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Diesel fuel filter water separator

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
Bakoboat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 456 carver 2000

Diesel fuel filter water separator

Postby Bakoboat » May 8th, 2023, 6:55 am

Can anyone explain the purpose of the large plastic screw on top of my fuel filter/water separator? This is connected to my diesel geny and the screw started leaking when the tanks were filled with diesel. The boat is also sloped forward on dry dock for removal of the shafts. The screw is connected to a brass rod that goes into the filter housing. Last night I opened the screw a few turns and it stopped the leaking, no sign of any seepage when I returned this morning. I have changed the filter and cleaned the bottom bowl. Assuming this is for bleeding or ? How do I adjust this for proper operation.
Thank-you

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Diesel fuel filter water separator

Postby Viper » May 8th, 2023, 8:34 pm

What filter are we talking about? The primary (remote) like a Racor or the genny on board secondary filter? Either way, it shouldn't leak. That type of setup usually has a gasket or o-ring to seal the fastener.

Topic author Canada
Bakoboat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Bakoboat » May 9th, 2023, 7:14 am

It's a racor style although I cant see any branding. It's the first in line from fuel tank before entering geny. Picture below.
20230508_123115.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 9th, 2023, 3:14 pm

Looks like a 220R assembly though the white screw is throwing me off as I'm used to seeing black ones. Parker/Racor usually has service kits for their filter assemblies but I have a feeling the 220R is out of production.

https://www.parker.com/static_content/parkerimages/Racor/7238%20Rev%20D%20(200%20Series).pdf

BTW, did you know that there are "Marine Rated" filters for most Racor assemblies now?!

Topic author Canada
Bakoboat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Bakoboat » May 10th, 2023, 6:27 am

Thanks very much for the help, the link had operating instructions - the white plastic nut is the primer pump, with vent screw open you pump this up and down to bleed the fuel/air out.
Thanks again and yes I read about marine Rated racor products.

Topic author Canada
Bakoboat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Bakoboat » May 27th, 2023, 7:33 am

After discussing with rep from parker (manufacturer) decided to replace with racor 490 model. Seal kit for the 220 was approx 125 with shipping and taxes, new 490 unit was 220.
Thanks for the help everyone

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”