Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Walter V driver Gear Ratio question

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Hoplite808
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3227 Convertible

Walter V driver Gear Ratio question

Postby Hoplite808 » June 18th, 2023, 3:17 pm

On my 3327 Convertible it is now powered with a pair of Perkins T6.354 engines. I suspect it was originally powered with a pair of Crusader 270’s. The transmission is a Borg Warner Velvet drive and the V drives are Walter RV-26’s with a 2.05:1 gear ratio. I suspect this gear ratio was correct for the Crusaders with lower torque and higher RPM’s but something closer to 1:1 gear ratio would be better for the Perkins since they have higher torque and lower RPM’s. Since I’m looking at replacing the V drives soon due to corrosion in the water jackets I thought this would be the ideal time to change the gearing if appropriate. Does anyone know if a 1:1 ratio v drive would be more appropriate for my setup or should I stick with the 2.05:1 ratio instead?

United States of America
RichS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 320 Voyager

Re: Walter V driver Gear Ratio question

Postby RichS » July 8th, 2023, 10:00 am

Hi Hoplite...wish you lived closer! I have a 1994 320 Voyager with the same transmissions and the same Walter V-Drives in it. Unfortunately, the port side Walter needs to be replaced. I've been looking for one that I could just swap out, but am having no luck finding one at all. Wish I could buy yours but shipping them from Honolulu to KY would cost as much as the V Drive I suspect! Best of luck finding the right match for your 3327! Safe boating!

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”