Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Propeller sizing

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Hoplite808
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3227 Convertible

Propeller sizing

Postby Hoplite808 » July 6th, 2023, 5:35 pm

I have a 1988 3227 Convertible. Based on the documents I've been able to find it originally came with a pair of Crusader motors with Walter V drives that are geared at 2.05:1. It also has the original 18 X 21 3 blade props. A previous owner repowered it with a pair of Perkins T6.354's and she is at best able to cruise only at about 9-10 knots. I suspect that I need to reprop the boat to match the engines. Does anyone here have any idea where I could find out what type of prop I should have on this setup?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Propeller sizing

Postby bud37 » July 6th, 2023, 7:09 pm

You are going to have to prop your boat based on the Perkins rpm range and the gears that are in the boat now. A good prop shop should be able to help with the decision......there are calculators that can help but there may be some trial and error as you need the engines in their sweet spot at cruise.
What rpm does Perkins say to run that engine package at and what rpm are you at now ? Some other possible questions may be, how heavy is the boat, how big a prop can you get under there safely and what is the shaft size now.....good luck but I think you are correct thinking to change the gears as well if possible.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Propeller sizing

Postby bud37 » September 19th, 2023, 9:43 pm

Any up dates on your prop issues ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”