Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 530 Pilothouse Cummins rebuild in engine room?

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
glynnalan
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse
"Tina Marina"

Carver 530 Pilothouse Cummins rebuild in engine room?

Postby glynnalan » October 5th, 2023, 7:46 pm

I'm hoping i can get some help or guidance from my fellow boaters as i'm a bit overwhelmed (and depressed)-
I lost a starboard impeller which started a chain reaction of damage to the turbo, rocker valves and piston.
Before scoping the piston we replaced the turbo and impeller but heard a rattle in the valve cover. After removing we found a rocker lifter damage on the cylinder nearest the turbo. We removed the injector to scope the piston and found the damage attached in the photo. Looks like the valve seat did the damage from overheating.
My question is has anyone had experience in replacing pistons / bottom end without removing the engine from the boat? we are going to attempt to rebuild inside the engine room (it's really the only option). The marina we are at has no mechanical services or a way to get our boat out of the water at lake mead.
appreciate any advise!
Motor model: Cummins 6CTA 8.3 M2
Boat: Carver Voyager 530 Pilothouse
thanks,
Glynn
303-748-8989
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Carver 530 Pilothouse Cummins rebuild in engine room?

Postby bud37 » October 5th, 2023, 7:54 pm

Try these guys, its all they do.......there might be some advice about whether in frame rebuilds are possible.

https://boatdiesel.com/Forums/Index.cfm
Last edited by bud37 on October 5th, 2023, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 5th, 2023, 7:55 pm

How much clearance do you have below the motor to get the pan off? If not enough, can the engine be raised enough to do it?

I'd think the biggest challenge will be cleaning up the cylinder. Is it a sleeved engine?

United States of America
Sgodfrey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 450 Voyager

Postby Sgodfrey » October 5th, 2023, 8:15 pm

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The 6cta can be rebuilt - it is sleeved - plenty of YouTube videos walk through the process. Please share with the group as you proceed.

glynnalan
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
"Tina Marina"

Postby glynnalan » October 13th, 2023, 9:16 am

I have a cummins tech coming out tomorrow to come up with a plan if its possible. i'll keep you updated

glynnalan
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
"Tina Marina"

Postby glynnalan » October 13th, 2023, 10:49 am

Yes the cylinders are sleeved. should be enough clearance with an A-frame about 20 inches.

Australia
aussie530carver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 530 pilothouse

Postby aussie530carver » October 18th, 2023, 5:34 pm

Hi answer to your question is yes .. i had the starboard engine removed from the boat after removing the flooring and had Cummins rebuild it ... but the port engine i could not remove as i would have had to destroy the kitchen so we had it rebuilt in the boat.. The Cummins technician used small bottle jacks to lift the block up to remove the sump and crank .. installed all pistons and liners and all other related parts... just be sure the technician cleans all the oil squirters as these where blocked... this engine failed for the same reason .. raw water pump failure
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

glynnalan
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
"Tina Marina"

Postby glynnalan » December 27th, 2023, 1:35 pm

Following up on this. The techs were able to completely overhaul and rebuild the engine inside the engine room. Had them go thru all systems and replacements for the port side as well so good as new. not cheap! but the guys were great. from ventura CA island marine diesel.

United States of America
Sgodfrey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 450 Voyager

Postby Sgodfrey » December 27th, 2023, 2:22 pm

That must have been a big project. Now that you have the rebuild complete you might want to make sure you can achieve the 2725 RPM to ensure that you don't have the engines overloaded. On my Carver 450 with the 450 Diamonds removing an inch of prop got my RPM back up to 2700.

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/propping ... el-engine/

Australia
aussie530carver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 530 pilothouse

Postby aussie530carver » January 17th, 2024, 4:46 pm

Hi great news on getting your engines rebuilt ... do you mind sharing the cost to do them...
I have had both of mine rebuilt here in Australia at a cost of $36000 per engine but i can only manage max RPMs at 2270... would anyone know what may cause the engines not to make max RPMs...

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”