Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

mercruiser D636 4.2 6cyl turbo diesels in a 86 3207 ? anyone familiar with these engines

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
Kart113
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver 3207 " Switching To Glide " Merc 260's Velvet drives 1500 hrs (Just purchased 03/2023 !)
1989 Bayliner 2455 " Riley B " Merc 5.0 lx alpha 1 550 hrs ( 2017 - present )
1979 Bayliner Skagit 2275 "Miss Chelsea" ( RIP crushed at dock by rouge sailboat )

mercruiser D636 4.2 6cyl turbo diesels in a 86 3207 ? anyone familiar with these engines

Postby Kart113 » November 8th, 2023, 5:05 pm

hi all just put away the Switchin To Glide for the winter ( snowing today ) I have a line on 2 mercruiser D636 4.2 6cyl turbo diesels with about 1200hrs on them ,I want to repower my 1986 3207 aft cabin with diesels ( 5.7 mercs right now gas prices are killing me ) has anyone have experience with these engines ? I know they are Italian VM Motori and I have heard all the chirping about parts and service issues, doesn't bother me . Just looking for cheaper motive force ,I'm heading south next fall gas or diesel :captain: I have been a factory trained VW/AUDI MECHANIC for the last 30 + years and have built some Frankensteined race and road cars and have been a cabin cruiser owner for the last 25 yrs and have swapped omc for merc engines/complete drive systems in Bayliners /Sea Rays / Dorals so this is not a daunting task in my books
Any info would be appreciated
Scott

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: mercruiser D636 4.2 6cyl turbo diesels in a 86 3207 ? anyone familiar with these engines

Postby bud37 » November 8th, 2023, 5:57 pm

Heh Scott......seems like you have lots of experience. I will suggest to you what I suggest to others looking for info on diesels.......check out Boatdiesel.com.....all diesel all the time from what I remember.

Hopefully someone here will have some firsthand experience with that engine package.

Good luck with your search and keep us in the loop if you decide.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Kart113
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver 3207 " Switching To Glide " Merc 260's Velvet drives 1500 hrs (Just purchased 03/2023 !)
1989 Bayliner 2455 " Riley B " Merc 5.0 lx alpha 1 550 hrs ( 2017 - present )
1979 Bayliner Skagit 2275 "Miss Chelsea" ( RIP crushed at dock by rouge sailboat )

Re: mercruiser D636 4.2 6cyl turbo diesels in a 86 3207 ? anyone familiar with these engines

Postby Kart113 » November 8th, 2023, 6:53 pm

Thanks Bud37 I will contact the boatdiesel people ( i figured if i cast a big enough net I would catch something ) I cant really find anyone online in the USA /CANADA with experience on these motors [big in Europe and Australia)
Scott

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 8th, 2023, 10:21 pm

I'm not familiar with that model diesel, but just acquiring the motors without breaking the bank is one of the huge hurdles for most folks considering a conversion. You'll have a lot of other expensive items, but if you've already got that first big nut cracked the others might not seen so bad.

With those engines, is there enough space in the engine compartment? You're two cylinders longer than the V-8s that were in there and I don't recall there being a lot of room around the V-8s in a 3207. You might make up some space because you probably don't need the reduction gear that normally hangs off the rear end of the VelvetDrive, and whatever transmission you end up with can probably incorporate the drive reduction internally. You also might need the transmission to incorporate the down-angle conversion so the engine sits level (to have enough clearance for the crankcase below).

KEEP US POSTED!! Sounds like an interesting project. Make sure you take (and post) a lot of pics when you get going!!

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”