Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Shaft bearings Carver 360

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Spain
Shnur
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 360

Shaft bearings Carver 360

Postby Shnur » December 27th, 2023, 6:12 am

I have a 2004 Carver 360 with VolvoPenta TAMD41 engines, I want to replace the bearings in the strut, but I can't find a manufacturer with such dimensions. Does anyone know what kind of bearings Carver install? Shaft diameter is 2" and outside Diameter about 2 7/16"

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: Shaft bearings Carver 360

Postby Tireless » December 27th, 2023, 7:53 am

I am currently having some work done on my running gear. I will be replacing the Cutlass Bearings on my boat, I have a 2006 44 CMY with VP engine that has two struts per side, a long and a short. I have received a quote from United Propellor, a reputable service provider in Canada. For my boat the will use three cutlass bearings. Two will put one on each side for the long, back, struts and they will cut one in half for the forward front, short struts.

They will use Johnson Germany Naval Brass struts, 2” X 2-5/8” X 8” .. They have gone up in price, however, I believe it will run me $2,300 including labour to have his done. My shaft/struts are not on the boat, the cost for labour would be more if your running gear is still on the boat.

Hope this give you an idea.

Greg

Topic author Spain
Shnur
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Shnur » December 27th, 2023, 8:21 am

Tireless wrote:Source of the post
Hope this give you an idea.

Greg

Thanks for the reply. But this size does not suit me, since the hole in the strut is smaller than the smallest Johnson bearing for my shaft. Is there a 2-5/8 strut hole on your boat?

Topic author Spain
Shnur
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Shnur » December 28th, 2023, 4:51 am

The guys who took the measurements made a mistake. the actual bearing size is 2-5/8. The issue is closed

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”