Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Raymarine C80 and AutoPilot

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Raymarine C80 and AutoPilot

Postby feeez » March 29th, 2016, 11:37 am

I have a Raymarine C80 MFD, SmartPilot SPX course computer, and an ST70 AutoPilot Controller.

Problem:
After I create a route with the MFD and start to follow that route I want the Autopilot to join the party. According to the manual for the Autopilot we set the autopilot on "Auto" and the MFD following a route. When this is all happening the next waypoint becomes visible on the autopilot screen. When I press "Track" on the autopilot it beeps (very annoyingly) and displays the error "No navigation data". :banghead: It seems they are talking to each other as the waypoint shows up on the autopilot.

I foresee some trips this season with some relatively long straight runs so this would be a good thing to have working.

As always thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Raymarine C80 and AutoPilot

Postby bud37 » March 13th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Fraser did you ever resolve that...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » March 13th, 2017, 11:44 pm

No I have not..... annoying for same reasons you outline

I am relocating my MFD this year, I will check all the easy stuff and try to get a better understanding of the set up.

I will post what I find.

Fraser

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 14th, 2017, 6:48 am

I wonder if the ST70 is picking up the GPS sentences. Will it display positional data as the vessel moves?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 14th, 2017, 8:59 am

feeez wrote:Source of the post No I have not..... annoying for same reasons you outline

I am relocating my MFD this year, I will check all the easy stuff and try to get a better understanding of the set up.

I will post what I find.

Fraser

That would be great, I have the C 80 as well and the more I can learn about it, the better......its all up to you now....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » March 14th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post I wonder if the ST70 is picking up the GPS sentences. Will it display positional data as the vessel moves?

This is the strange part of this. When I have the MFD following a route the waypoints are showing up on the ST70 but when I press "Track" it just comes back with the no navigation data error.

Fraser

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 14th, 2017, 10:53 pm

Yes but getting a waypoint is different than needing gps/heading data to get to that waypoint. Check the simple things first like all the connections and system setup.

Has this unit ever worked for you?

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » March 15th, 2017, 9:45 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Yes but getting a waypoint is different than needing gps/heading data to get to that waypoint. Check the simple things first like all the connections and system setup.

Has this unit ever worked for you?

No it has not worked since I owned the boat. I will do the connection check when I move the MFD this season. We all know that with electronics sometimes an un-plug and re-plug can solve a myriad of malfunctions.
I also want to get my VHF hooked up to the system properly this year also..... the never ending array of projects when boating...... :-D
I see what you mean about the waypoint. Although the ST70 is getting "a" waypoint if there is no heading data coming with it the "no navigation" error would be justified.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » March 15th, 2017, 9:56 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post I wonder if the ST70 is picking up the GPS sentences. Will it display positional data as the vessel moves?

Viper,
From what I have seen the ST70 is functioning properly. When engaged it holds the boat at a constant heading that matches the GPS and the SOG data is consistent with the GPS.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”