Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Volvo Penta D6-370

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Volvo Penta D6-370

Postby bud37 » April 5th, 2017, 9:18 pm

I see no reason not to do it that way....we used mobile machinists to do our huge steam turbines and pumps in place, no engines though but can't imagine why not,big diesel stuff is very heavy and costly to move around so might be worth looking into.......best of luck with it.... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 5th, 2017, 10:15 pm

Really depends on the damage and what their capabilities are away from the shop. My concern would be what was happening while she was running just before she finally failed. If she ran with metal filings floating around for example, I'd be concerned if the rebuild didn't go all the way rather than just dealing with only the one cylinder. Not doing it correctly now may result in a worst/catastrophic failure later. If they are equipped to do a complete rebuild on site, then it sounds more attractive but personally I prefer sending that type of work to a shop that has all the proper machinery to do it right so no corners are cut, can't have that type of work come back to haunt me, it's just not worth the time savings. If you're taking her out of the hole and tearing her down that far, getting her out of the boat shouldn't be that big a deal with a little ingenuity and the right equipment IMO.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 5th, 2017, 11:12 pm

To add to Vipers comments, I would personally be a bit apprehensive about the work being performed on the boat. Even if it could be done properly, the amount of equipment that would be moved on and off of your boat and the potential oil spray from boring etc. the extra labor for working in the tight confines vs a machine shop, would be of great concern to me. I may be mistaken, but I would think it would ultimately be less expensive and a better end result to have the engine removed for rebuild.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 6th, 2017, 6:33 am

From all the research I did on these engines, I did read they cannot be sleeved or at least the few that were tried had issues. From what I understand, a new block is required. Problem here is these engines are rather rare so there is not much info out there.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 6th, 2017, 10:05 am

Brad, have you been to boat diesel .com ?......they may be able to help, in light of what Hans is saying about the blocks, that would certainly change how you go forward on this....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 15th, 2017, 5:40 am

Any updates on this project?
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
Brad Tubbs
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 41 CMY, with Volvo Penta D6-370's.

Postby Brad Tubbs » June 15th, 2017, 8:03 am

Unfortunately, no. The finances are holding us back. And, we're still trying to figure out exactly how & who to get the work done. I'll be back to update as soon as we make some progress.
Thanks,
Brad
Central Florida
2005 41CMY
D6-370

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”