Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

water pump replacement

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author
Paradise II
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Mariner 36

water pump replacement

Postby Paradise II » May 22nd, 2017, 9:29 pm

I have a 1985 carver 3697 mariner. Water pump wont shut off. Going to try one more time to bleed all the air out and if that doesn't work figuring the pressure switch is bad and will replace the pump. For a guy that is a C on the mechanically inclined scale is this something that can be done. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Paradise II

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: water pump replacement

Postby bud37 » May 22nd, 2017, 9:43 pm

A bit more info that might help.....What kind of pump is it ( fresh water system),did it work fine before.... is it pumping water now and just not shutting off, or not pumping at all.

If the latter, try tapping the pump when on, where the lines go in and out and see if switch is stuck.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 22nd, 2017, 10:38 pm

You either have a bad plumbing leak, or your tank is empty, or a pressure switch issue, or the check valve in the pump has failed. Most pumps have rebuild kits available, and replacement switches. Does the system pressurize, do you get full water flow when you open a faucet?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 23rd, 2017, 8:27 am

Does it build any pressure? If so, then after the pump is run for a while, turn it off. Let the water system sit for about an hour then open a faucet and see if you still have pressure. This will tell you if the check valve in the pump is failing. Could be just a piece of debris. You could take it apart and clean it. You might find one of the diaphragms has a hole, and as Viper said, there are a lot of replacement parts available for them.

Even if you just elect to buy a new pump and replace it (which is pretty easy), then take the old one apart and see if you can find out what went wrong. If you break it, so what? You've already replaced it but it would be a nice learning experience.

Topic author
Paradise II
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Mariner 36

Postby Paradise II » May 23rd, 2017, 2:43 pm

Yes pumping good. Just wont Shut off. Yes i still have pressure after shutting it off and it sits just cant remember How much. Will do more testing this weekend. Thanks for the help.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » May 23rd, 2017, 10:28 pm

Sounds like the pressure switch is shot in the pump. If you decide to replace the pump instead of rebuilding it, make sure you get the same gph pump.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
Rich W
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 350 Aft Cabin

Sandy's Riches

Postby Rich W » May 29th, 2017, 10:00 am

Had same problem with my fresh water pump. After looking for leaks and finding none, I got out the manual for the pump where they suggested pulling the outlet pipe off the pump and install a plug then try the pump again. I did this to find it would not shut off and went out and got a new one. The POs had removed the inline filter so I added a new one with the install. Since old pump was not that old I was thinking that perhaps there was some debris keeping the thing from shutting off. Will be opening up the old pump to see and hopefully replace parts/clean so I can have a backup pump for the future.

Happy Memorial Day!!

:usa:

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”