Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Noisy Starboard transmission...rich engine

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
405driver
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405 gas

Re: Noisy Starboard transmission...rich engine

Postby 405driver » April 12th, 2017, 8:23 am

I totally agree.......we are in Gallatin Tennessee on Old Hickory lake and will be out almost every weekend this coming summer.

Thanks

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 12th, 2017, 8:54 am

I'd like to also say go out and enjoy your boat however consider the following;
- while I wouldn't be too worried about damaging anything if it's simply leaking through valve stem seals I'd be a bit worried if it were leaking through an oil cooler. If it is, eventually it'll get bad enough that you'll get raw water in your oil. If you don't catch that quick when it finally happens, you'll end up with a bigger problem than you have now.
- The other thing to consider is that of an environmental concern. While we can't have a perfectly friendly footprint when running a boat (or anything else), we could take measures to ensure we minimize the impact on the environment. If we know we're dumping oil, wouldn't we want to take measures to correct that so we protect the environment we so love to boat and swim in?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 12th, 2017, 3:55 pm

How do the plugs look?

I agree with g36... get an idea of how much oil you're using.

Have you run the boat much this year? Is it possible there's just some fogging oil working it's way through the system?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 12th, 2017, 11:38 pm

You went this far, I would definitely test the oil coolers. But if it ran well, was not smoking and you were able to pull 4000 rpms, I wouldn't rush into a valve job. If the seals are leaking enough for a rebuild, you should be smoking with a warm engine and not leaving a sheen. If you are not smoking and still leaving a sheen, I would think oil coolers would be the first suspected culprit.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 13th, 2017, 6:53 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post..... If the seals are leaking enough for a rebuild, you should be smoking with a warm engine and not leaving a sheen......

+1

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 13th, 2017, 8:14 am

I completely agree with tomschauer above and 405 if you ever need to check further ( the key word being " if "), get your guy to do a leak down test on all cylinders,it is fairly definitive test for checking the cylinder health ( valves,head gasket,rings ) in an engine with out removing any parts except for one spark plug at a time....there is a procedure to follow but all quite simple...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

405driver
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby 405driver » April 23rd, 2017, 2:43 pm

Hi,

Just a little closure on the above subject.The engine seems to run great however I have talked with the folks at Marysville Marine and that even though an engine seems to be running smoothly that that may not always be the case...therefore the rattle. There is still oil/fuel in the exhaust which is certainly not normal. This week we are going to test the oil cooler for a possible leak.
If the oil cooler isn't leaking then I would thank that there is a leaky valve stem and a valve job would be in order. I think I'll just enjoy the boat all summer then perhaps do the valves in the fall unless if anyone can think of something else to check.

Thanks for the help and advice.....

405driver
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby 405driver » June 17th, 2017, 11:00 am

Ok...here's the latest. Yesterday my wife and I anchored and had dinner on the boat. Went for an after dinner cruise and the starboard engine quit and would not restart. It would start run for a few seconds and then quit again. Sounds like a fuel pump might be bad.....right? With some help, managed to get the boat back into the slip using one engine. After we got into the slip and all lines attached, the engine started and ran fine......

Today I'm going to remove the water separation filter and and see if one of the tanks has water in it although I changed tanks during the fiasco with no help....

Maybe the map sensor....started working again when it cooled off???

I was hoping it wouldn't start again as that might give us some insight into the issues outlined above. You lose trust in an engine that has a problem that is hard to reproduce.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to remove water from a tank (tanks) if that turns out to be the problem??? Is a Seafoam treatment worth the effort?

Thanks

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 17th, 2017, 12:29 pm

Seafoam won't remove water from a tank. No additive will. If that's your problem you need to pump out the tank.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 17th, 2017, 1:39 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Seafoam won't remove water from a tank. No additive will.....

+1
There are water dispersants you could use but their effectiveness will really depend on how much water there is. If you have a lot, your best bet is to pump it out as KM suggested.

Usually when a MAP sensor fails, the computer will set to a default so that the engine continues running and get you home. Might not run the best but it'll get you there.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”