Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Review Mirror for docking

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Review Mirror for docking

Postby amanphoto » July 8th, 2017, 10:41 am

I have a Carver Mariner 350. It is a flybridge style boat with a radar arch. Needles to say, I can't see my transom when backing into my slip. The houseboat next door has side view mirrors mounted on the front deck. I thought it was a good idea. Any one else have mirrors for docking? Thoughts?

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Re: Review Mirror for docking

Postby amanphoto » July 8th, 2017, 11:37 am

Like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Mn car guy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner
7.4 Crusader Xl

Postby Mn car guy » July 11th, 2017, 11:45 pm

I have the same boat and it can be a challenge. I stand at the helm facing rearward and operate the transmissions to back it up ( hands behind my back). I can see the corners of the stern so it works but I'm also 6 3 so that helps

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » July 12th, 2017, 5:42 am

Out in a rear view camera.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 12th, 2017, 4:16 pm

A good friend of mine who has a 38 Regal Sedan had the same problem. He installed a camera with a display on the bridge that shows the stern of the boat including the swim platform. It shows him all he needs to see behind his boat when in a docking or backing situation. Pretty nice setup.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
John Easley
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Sold a 1986 42' Chris Craft Catalina. Looking for a 1999-2006 530 Voyager Pilothouse.

Postby John Easley » July 17th, 2017, 10:31 am

RGrew176 wrote:Source of the post A good friend of mine who has a 38 Regal Sedan had the same problem. He installed a camera with a display on the bridge that shows the stern of the boat including the swim platform. It shows him all he needs to see behind his boat when in a docking or backing situation. Pretty nice setup.

We looked into this, too, and decided to outfit ours with a backup camera. There are lots of models available on Amazon with 30+ feet of cord, dedicated high def monitors, and all the mounting hardware for about $90 or less. Some even have a provision that allows "tilting" the view. I'm sure it's some sort of digital cropping but it allows a more downward view for docking and a more upright view for seeing traffic behind you when underway. Could be an inexpensive solution to OP's situation.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”