Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1995 Trojan 350 Cruiser

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
emk101
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

1995 Trojan 350 Cruiser

Postby emk101 » July 29th, 2017, 8:29 am

My husband and I are looking into a new boat. Having grown up on a 1979 32' Trojan F32 Flybridge, I'm partial to Trojans.

I think they hold up well and the first and last things to go on that boat were the engines, which could have been replaced/rebuilt. They were volvo penta's I believe, but this was some time ago.

We are between 2 boats seriously, maybe a third. I wanted to hear from some people who have or have had a 95' Trojan 350 Cruiser.

This one is:
Asking ~43k
Twin 454-XL Cruisaders
675 Engine hours (twin Inboards)
35ft
12ft beam
The hull is stated as "fiberglass reinforced"
Genset, AC/Heat, Ice maker on deck, fridge on deck, sink on deck, full camper canvas (replaced 4 years ago)
Vacuflush head
Head pump and water heater replaced 2 years ago

**The one thing I saw on the boat was water intrusion around the windows in the V-berth. There was a decent amount of it.

We've seen this boat. It has all the bells and whistles. Upholstery doesn't need to be re-done. Everything seems clean.
There was no musty odor, no gas smell in the engine compartment.
It's in dry storage right now though.

Questions:
Is this boat cored or not?
Anyone own this boat and can give me a review of how it's been holding up?
Anything to look out for with this boat?
I've never had Crusader engines, how do they stand up to the hours?
Good/Bad?

And lastly, if anyone knows, how do these boats handle with the crazy weather we get over the great lakes -- I'm on lake Ontario and had to get back to port in 10 ft rollers the other day, on an 18 ft century bowrider (which is one of the things that has us wanting a larger boat).

***We plan on getting a survey done, compression test, and having our independent mechanic check it out before purchase. We're being very picky and have seen close to 30 boats so far.

I've attached photos of the water damage and the over-all boat

(Side note, this boat is built by Carver. Trojan forum told me to go to a Carver forum).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: 1995 Trojan 350 Cruiser

Postby Viper » July 29th, 2017, 9:01 am

Welcome aboard

Your F32 (very popular model by the way) would have been a repower if it had Volvos in her. I don't believe Volvo was an option unless something unique was commissioned off the assembly line for some reason.

The F32 would have been solid glass, I don't think the 350 is though. Your surveyor will be able to tell. The water leak may or may not be a big concern. If it's cored in that area, it's a problem if water has leaked into the core, otherwise it's a matter of removing the portlight and re-bedding it, not all that uncommon.

Crusader puts together a good package. They're all GM blocks though and the 454s are easy to get parts for. Other than fuel consumption and leaking rear main seals, they're a good engine. How many hours?

The key is getting a survey done, and if the boat spent any time in salt water, you want to be extra diligent in it's assessment. She'll likely have the usual "high moisture" areas around the bow, pulpit, stanchions, and anywhere else that has hardware fastened to the deck, and perhaps the swim platform may show signs of moisture but for that age, you'll find the same on probably 90% of boats of any brand. Don't know the stringer system used but if it's wood stringers, that's an important check and can be pricey to replace if they're bad.

Hopefully a member here that may have the same model will chime in with structural and handling feedback.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 29th, 2017, 9:21 am

For many years most Trojans were made here in Lancaster PA. Carver bought the name in the early 90's after the luxury tax put Trojan out of business.
I would image they are built like other carvers of the same era with no wood below the water line, but I am not certain. Do some research and hire a good surveyor.
Good luck!

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 29th, 2017, 11:09 pm

My last boat was a 78 f32 had her for 7 years. I really loved her. Sounds like you were on trojanboats.net forum? Oh yes I see you were. I don't know if you contacted Bob at beacon marine the trojan forum sponsor he may be of some help too.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » July 30th, 2017, 11:25 am

$47K sounds high for a boat with water intrusion problems. A friend of mine had water intrusion around a port on his SeaRay that has expanded to a major repair job. 8 feet of glass removal, replace, and refinish - big $$$ involved there!

Look around a bit - you might find something - especially if you are willing to do a little TLC:

Carver 3227 for $12K
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ebay-Motors-Boa ... Kk&vxp=mtr

Carver 3607 for $22K:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Carver-360 ... 3I&vxp=mtr

And I've got a friend with a 34 Hatteras for $25K here in NC...
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » July 30th, 2017, 6:36 pm

There's a 1995 Trojan 350 for sale in Union Springs, NY for $42.5K, don't know if it's the same one you are looking at or not.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 31st, 2017, 2:16 am

When I was boat shopping 2 to 3 years ago Trojan was high on my list. They are nice running boats with good classic lines. I ended up with a Carver and have no regrets.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”