Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Battery configuration

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Battery configuration

Postby Viper » April 9th, 2017, 10:45 am

It won't give you all the same info as the Victron in terms of amp hours consumed/remaining, state of charge, etc. This unit only operates when the charger is on. Switchable lit or unlit display (blue). It'll give you charge voltage and amperage, indicate what state it is currently in; "CHARGE", "CONDITIONING", etc., charge temp, faults, alarm, and allows you adjust settings. Pretty sure you can also switch from charger to power supply mode remotely.

The remote is usually one of the first things I check when I get on-board after being away for the week.

BTW, I checked and found that the units are now factory defaulted to the Sealed battery setting, so yours was not an anomaly. Interesting choice for a default setting now. I don't like sealed batteries for a marine application, and I'm pretty sure the number of flooded units out there still outweigh all the other types put together. I suspect this decision was made because it is the safest setting (charge/maintain voltage pattern wise) for all types in case the installer neglects to set it to the proper battery type.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » April 9th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Thanks for the input Viper.

Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
daveS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: ☀️Sanity Sol☀️
1999 350 Mariner

Postby daveS » September 4th, 2017, 9:04 pm

I would like to see your battery setup.
I pickup my 350 soon and need to change batteries for more house power.
I'm at Bayport Penetang.
Thanks

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » September 6th, 2017, 10:47 am

DaveS

Sent you a PM

Fraser

Canada
daveS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
1999 350 Mariner

Postby daveS » January 29th, 2018, 2:19 pm

thanks...still on the subject of power and 350 Mariner...Has anyone removed the Telephone jacks and replaced with USB plug in to power and charge phones and Tablets.
I planning this little project soon.
Thanks

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 29th, 2018, 3:45 pm

daveS wrote:Source of the post thanks...still on the subject of power and 350 Mariner...Has anyone removed the Telephone jacks and replaced with USB plug in to power and charge phones and Tablets.
Thanks

Sounds cool, I will be interested in that sort of thing........ :beergood: ... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » January 29th, 2018, 4:32 pm

daveS wrote:Source of the post thanks...still on the subject of power and 350 Mariner...Has anyone removed the Telephone jacks and replaced with USB plug in to power and charge phones and Tablets.
Thanks

Very good idea.....

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 29th, 2018, 7:20 pm

There's several products on the market now that you can do this with, everything form wall mounted units, to smaller round units you can install anywhere including the helm, or you can go the cheaper route of just buying the units that you stick in the cigarette lighter. I have one of those at each helm that have two ports each, cheap and easy.

Canada
daveS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
1999 350 Mariner

Postby daveS » January 30th, 2018, 11:09 pm

I was thinking something like this if you can search it....RV WALL MOUNT 12V-VPA SOCKET/5V4A OUPUT DUAL USB PORT CHARGING STATION, WHITE by Magnadyn
alittle pricey but I think it would replace the phone jack box.

Canada
daveS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
1999 350 Mariner

Postby daveS » January 31st, 2018, 4:32 pm

feeez wrote:Source of the post Good evening all. I am hoping for some further feedback on this post.
I met with the marina service manager and the mechanic that will ultimately do this work.

The project is in two major sections.
1 - We are going to add 4 X 6V golf cart batteries to the existing battery compliment. We will leave one of the existing 12V batteries and that will be dedicated to engine starting and the 4 6V will be dedicated to the house.

2 - I got a Xantrex Prowatt SW 2000 from someone who is getting out of boating (still in the box) and that will be wired to the AC side of the panel feeding only specified circuits. I will have to purchase an Auto transfer Relay to allow the inverter to switch on its own when not on shore power or the genny is running.

They have estimated the job at approx. 24 hours labour hence ($2600 to $3200) I am sure it will be closer to the upper and not the lower.

Comments and opinions are most welcome.
Fraser

So was this done and does it work well???

Return to “Electrical”