Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 33 SS Raymarine autopilot

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Carver 33 SS Raymarine autopilot

Postby Helmsman » May 24th, 2017, 8:54 am

I am getting ready to move my autopilot compass. I currently have it mounted under the dash via the opening behind the front seat cushion.

I was hoping someone here already has one mounted successfully somewhere that I could mimic. I am thinking on the front just in front of the flybridge front seat if I can get a wire to there. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Re: Carver 33 SS Raymarine autopilot

Postby dsolo » May 25th, 2017, 8:07 am

I installed an autopilot in my previous boat. I remember the instructions for mounting the compass stating location should be as low and centered as possible. My current Carver has the compass located on the engine room aft bulkhead. It is mounted at the center and bottom of the bulkhead. This location provides a reading without the influence of wave action on the vessel.
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » May 27th, 2017, 9:32 am

Thanks! Any concerns about the equipment surrounding it? I can probably find a spot down there that will suffice, but there will always be wires and such I guess.

United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Postby dsolo » May 31st, 2017, 5:58 pm

I am not knowledgeable to direct you on electrical interference. I can't remember if it played a part in the location? Do you have a manual? Can you retrieve one from the internet? It should cover the subject.
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 31st, 2017, 7:25 pm

Down low, parallel to the center line of the hull, and away from machinery and other potential interference is what most call for. While it's best to run the cable isolated from all others, it's usually impractical as they typically need to go through raceways to an area where other electrical wiring runs as well. The cable is shielded so that helps combat most of the interference you'd pick up from other wiring. If the bulkhead behind the engines is a good spot due to the short run, try putting it on the other side of the bulkhead so it's not in the engine bay but ends up in a closet, cupboard or behind a drawer, etc. If this forces it to face aft, you'll need to configure it so that it takes that into consideration for a proper reading. Mine is in a cupboard space under a dinette bench and it faces aft. Older system but will be upgrading this summer.

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » October 19th, 2017, 8:20 pm

I ended up moving to the storage cabinets on the flybridge. It has a clearance of about 4 feet, so it seems to be working well. Thanks for the suggestions!
Last edited by Helmsman on October 12th, 2020, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » October 19th, 2017, 8:24 pm

I haven't installed one in years but they used to recommend as far aft and low as possible. We used to mount them between the rudders. Guidelines may have changed over the last several years?

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » November 9th, 2017, 3:53 pm

I am seeing a 1 to 2 degree difference. Can adjust for that. Thanks for the help!

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”