Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Black tank odor problems in aft cabin.

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
Hart's Desire
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Black tank odor problems in aft cabin.

Postby Hart's Desire » November 16th, 2017, 8:28 am

I have a 1991 carver 33 aft cabin. I bought it last summer on LakeErie and have made my way to Fort Lauderdale Florida via the Erie Canal and the itercoastal waterway.
My problem is that when I turn onthe aft air, a sewer gas smell comes out of the vents. The smell in the bilge is not strong but there.
#1 how do I get to the black tanks on this model. The only access is below the bed and under thenight stand. I cannot see the tanks from there and I could never get my body past the obsticals to look around. Does any one know how to access them?

#2. Has anyone else had this problem and how did the repair it.

I put two hundred hours on the boat it the last two months, the only problems on the trip was the ice maker, a clogged fuel filter and the black tank problems.

Carver builds one hell of a boat.

Marc Hart. Hart's Desire

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Black tank odor problems in aft cabin.

Postby g36 » November 16th, 2017, 9:25 am

in my 405 my fwd ac under the v berth would do the same thing. it was mounted under the fwd v berth and would just suck in bilge air along with cabin air i would get the same smell of the bilge. i dont think this would be very effiicent either since you are heating and cooling the bilge by the return air coming back to the ac unit. i removed mine build a box and return hose and supply hoses and isolated the unit from any bilge air. so the result is no smell and it is also only heating and cooling the cabin air much better. if your hvac unit is just mounted under the bed and pulling in the bilge air then something like what i did could benefit you also. getting rid of the black tank smell may be challenging. the hoses and or tank could be permeated and changing the hoses might be all it needs but if your tank itself is permeated it may be difficult to rid the odor.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 16th, 2017, 9:37 am

Welcome to the forum, quite the trip for you......just to add to g36, check your shower sumps, they can get pretty nasty....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » November 16th, 2017, 10:56 am

+1 on the shower sump. If you use the shower you need to clean the sump regularly. It is not sealed and vents into the bilge. Also smell will be drawn into your a/c from the shower sump through the a/c drain line to the sump.
Easy fix, but needs continually maintained.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 16th, 2017, 9:52 pm

Welcome aboard Marc. I agree with all the above. Pretty common problem.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”