Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New Boater,"New to ME" Carver 3807 Owner!

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
RichardS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 Carver 38 Aft Cabin

New Boater,"New to ME" Carver 3807 Owner!

Postby RichardS » December 13th, 2013, 3:29 pm

I've been riding Harley's over 40 years and in fact am the co-founder of a very nice (if I do say so myself) on-line Harley community forum. I won't name it so it doesn't look like I'm here to promote my bike site. I mention it because I want to point out how aware I am of the potential helpfulness and camaraderie found on sites where people are gathered with a similar passion!

I'm new to boating. Always wanted a boat but there were always other bills to pay and boating is an expensive hobby, that I knew from the many friends who gave it up as a result over the years!

But now, at age 60, I'm feeling like it's "now or never" and opted for "NOW!"

I did some homework, looked at a LOT of boats, decided on a budget and the style of boat my wife and I both liked, and the result is our recently acquired 1991 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin, a one owner boat who took delivery new with gas engines and genny but immediately pulled them and installed new Cummings diesels and Westerbeke diesel generator. For some reason he had to replace the port block about 50 hours ago, but the boat has about 1100 hours total on the rest of the vessel, about 1/2 that amount on the genny.

We got a survey done, and as a result, there was a lot of "deferred maintenance" discovered that resulted in about a 15K repair bill to the sellers, which they paid to get the deal done.

Aside from the large bill to give the boat a clean bill of health mechanically, it's had NO upgrades and/or improvements cosmetically, and while it's "clean" and doesn't look like it's been abused in any way at all, it sure could use a fresh and modernized interior.

That's where I am hoping you guys can give me some advice!

I'm spending about 12K as we speak on a Garmin 7215 and with a few extra gizmos (new radar,VHF AIS combo radio, digital sounder, transducer, back-up cams) to tie into it's network, so the electronics will be made current.

But the salon has the same furniture and carpet it was delivered with in '91, and it looks clean but tired. The problem of course is how to get new stuff into that tiny little doorway. I know the sofa comes apart but we haven't been able to find ANYTHING new that will go back in. Advice? I suppose we could have what's there reupholstered but that cost is high enough to buy new furniture, IMHO. If we can find any! We also want to change out the floor covering, at least in the salon....my wife likes the look of hardwood floors, I can live with new carpet.....thoughts?

Another question......

We had my new best friend, the mechanic who did all the work to make the deal happen for the sellers, do some additional work for us and he's installing all the electronics, and he also had a stairway built on the dock so we can walk up and step onto the side of the boat, avoiding climbing the ladder on the swim platform at the back. I've seen a few boats like mine retro-fitted with a spiral stairway but haven't been able to fInd anyone who sells them. Any advice on this? We'd sure like to get rid of that ladder for the times we'll dock somewhere other than our home marina where the stairs are now built and securely attached.

I'd appreciate any and all advice you Carver owners can offer with respect to my questions and any other thoughts you may have, especially any specific to my model. I had three sea trials on it before we did the deal and shortly after that we winterized it, so I have literally had ZERO time at the helm to just enjoy it! We're excited about it and can't wait for Spring, which seems a hundred years away right now in 19 degrees of bitter cold and ice and snow in my driveway!

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Re: New Boater,"New to ME" Carver 3807 Owner!

Postby Ramsport47 » December 14th, 2013, 7:23 am

First, Congrats on your 3807! I've never seen one with diesels (I work for a dealer that sold Carver for 47 years until Carver's most recent bankruptcy). On the sofa...Flexsteel makes them for the marine industry. There are able to be disassemble to fit through the doorways. Expensive, and it should cost less to have yours recovered. The spiral staircases were Carver designed and manufactured for several of their models (in the early mid 1990's...the 3608 just to mind). You may be able to find a local company/yard that can make one for you. The wood flooring is really a matter of personal choice...I love it, but I also like the warmth and comfort of carpeting. I had wood flooring in my previous boat, but replaced the carpeting in the current one.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » December 15th, 2013, 12:02 pm

What size Cummins did you use? Have you run it yet? Must be great compared to the gas engines.
And Welcome!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
RichardS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 Carver 38 Aft Cabin

Postby RichardS » December 24th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! The Cummins, as I recall (the service manual for the engines is on the boat) are a pair of 6BTA's, which had some kind of necessary retrofit as a result of a pre-1991 design issue. You guys will know more of what I am referring to than I can add....I'm offering this from memory of what a mechanic who looked at the boat told me. I did take the boat out for a couple brief sea-trials before closing the deal and then almost immediately thereafter winterizing the boat. I will say the boat clocked 19 knots at 3100RPM's....not sure if that sounds good or bad, but it seemed to handle extremely well and the seas that day were choppy enough to get a sense that the boat could carve a path through the water easily, with no hull pounding or vibration at all at full throttle. It's no "speed-demon" but that's not what we were looking for anyway. I was told by a fellow boater at the marina who knows this vessel extremely well, knew the previous owner, and in fact owns the exact same boat, but three years older and with gas engines (454's as I recall) that he and the previous owner estimated this boat burned about 25% of it's gas-engined sister ship at full throttle. BIG difference!!!! Sound right??

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”