Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fitted winter covers

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Fitted winter covers

Postby bud37 » January 14th, 2018, 5:06 pm

Considering the once again atrocious work done by the shrink wrap guy, we are now forced to go another route. I would appreciate any comment from our Canadian boaters who know of someone or have knowledge of how good these winter covers are.The boat show trip is coming and I will be ordering something there..... :help: ...... :beergood:
Last edited by bud37 on January 17th, 2018, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Genco fitted winter covers

Postby Viper » January 14th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Did the shrink wrap fail?

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 15th, 2018, 7:16 am

Yes it did :banghead: ... :censored: .......Holy s..t ,wheres the Tylenol......This was something we were going to do for this winter, but a health issue kept me from being able to build a good frame last fall for them to measure. I was just hoping to hear maybe some more info about their product ( Genco) and how they were to deal with ( the process).
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
throwback2
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 28 Voyager,twin small blocks,1991 Shamrock,350 Chevy now.
1973 Atlantic Craft 15, 2004 2 smoke Merc 40,
and a few other water toys

Postby throwback2 » January 15th, 2018, 10:34 am

Just curious,what kind of boat and how did the wrap fail?

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 15th, 2018, 3:19 pm

The plastic was fine, it was because of how it was installed and the lack of yard maintenance,e.g...no chafe guarding, loose wrap, snow not removed, theres more but I won't go into here, its not the right place.......... :beergood: :beergood: .. :beergood:

So genco winter covers anyone ???

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » January 15th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Any shrink work needs a central post high up to support the wrap from bow to stern. The idea is to have only vertical surfaces so snow will not accumulate. This will give you a good idea of how it should be done.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2aj3x1h.jpg
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » January 15th, 2018, 8:33 pm

Sorry bud, can't comment on the Genco. I'm curious though, the guys that shrunk her, are they not making good and replacing or repairing? They should. One of the benefits of paying someone to do it is that they look after a failure at their expense. Is this someone that works at the marina or someone the marina has brought in to do the wrapping? Who ever you paid should be looking after fixing it.

If it's done right, the wrap will be tight, no sharp points to poke through, the snow should slide off, none of the framing should break, and it should be properly vented.

If you're building a frame from which a cover will be measured/made, how well it holds up will be very dependent on how you build the frame so I recommend researching that carefully before you build. The framing, it's design, and how tight the wrap/cover are will have a huge impact on whether it all holds up. Poor framing practices and rushing the covering process is why most wraps and covers fail.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 16th, 2018, 9:58 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post If it's done right, the wrap will be tight, no sharp points to poke through, the snow should slide off, none of the framing should break, and it should be properly vented.

You must have seen this guys work, broke all of those and more, the same flaws can be seen thru-out the yard.

You know it is one thing to pay people, but in this case who will compensate me for my time in managing this, monitoring my boat and keeping the marina informed as to jack stands,snow loads,wrap condition,inspecting work and getting corrections done. When I had people to manage I personally checked their work, I did not expect others to do it, and that is very much the issue here.......nobody is managing, all left to the customer, who if he or she notices anything is branded a complainer.....interesting logic when it clearly states on the haul out forms that if you contract them for this service they will take care of all these things for you. I always wondered why a considerable number of people with very large boats were doing all this work themselves, when surely they could just pay someone, I believe I now know the answer.

Well they have cobbled up something and this weekend when it warms up I will go in AGAIN and take pics. Sorry, rant now over, so thats it, thanks for reading, I feel better now or at least I will when this winter is over....... :-D

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » January 16th, 2018, 3:06 pm

If enough people complain and make them do repairs when it's 30-40 below, they'll think twice about taking shortcuts next time. Unfortunately I see too many failures just sitting there all winter long with no repercussions because most owners don't even know their cover has failed. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

You're right, the customer should not have to be the one monitoring and advising what needs to be done. If it fails, it should be repaired right away, before the customer sees it. Of course you'd only do that if you cared! Getting a little tired of the idiots giving the rest of the industry a bad rap (pardon the pun).

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Fitted winter covers

Postby bud37 » January 18th, 2018, 8:16 am

Ordered a winter cover system, very nice people with a well thought out product, I believe this will be all good....now to get our boat thru the rest of the winter....... :beergood:

Return to “General Boating Discussion”