Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Battery configuration

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Re: Battery configuration

Postby feeez » February 1st, 2018, 4:51 pm

I ended up not having the marina do this work. Too much $$ for my snack bracket

I installed the 4 X 6V batteries myself and did not bother with the inverter. (2015)
I installed the Victron Energy monitor (2015). This exposed that my battery charger was not working properly
I installed a 50A promariner pronautic smart charger. (2016)
I put my batteries (6V) in a battery box and introduced a bus bar to simplify the the negative wiring around the batteries and to the engines (2017).
Still have not felt the need for the inverter yet, although I have a small one to charge phones and run my TV. Beyond that I just run the Genny when I need AC.

Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » February 3rd, 2018, 9:31 pm

PICTURE??? I added 2 Golf Cart Batteries, but am stumped where to put the other two on my 390 CPMY.

Canada
daveS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: ☀️Sanity Sol☀️
1999 350 Mariner

Postby daveS » February 9th, 2018, 3:01 pm

well ....im biting at the bit.
No fuel cost as of now so boat improvements are a top of the list.
I have two engine batteries and one Generator battery.
I'm moving this boat from Ottawa in the spring to Georgian Bay.
My Questions...
1. Do I leave as is and run the boat up the Trent.
2. Do I take batteries on a pre-trip and polish week and install house batteries. (will need help on configuration).
3. Instruct the marine of my wish before pre departure and pay the big bucks.
I do want to install a inverter but thats in the next few years.
My thought are to have 1 battery per each engine on curcuit one,
Four 6 volt T??? on circuit 2 as house.
That will be a total of 7 batteries if there room...lol

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 9th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Dave , I think your choice of 1 or 2 as to where to put the house bank will depend on the loads that are hard wired by Carver.....check your electrical section in the manual and there is a drawing of how it is wired.....1 and 2 are different........check the one with the least amount of hard wired loads that includes the windlass....should be #2..... that should be the engine start/run one IMO.....check that out for now.......actually these boats could be wired much better, in reality each engine is supposed to have its own battery according to mercruiser instal instructions....have to figure that one out yet with the existing ........... :beergood: ....

I would leave it the way it was for the trip so long as the batteries that are there are good, but if they are toast then maybe change out before the trip....no sense buying twice and likely tied up with power along the way.
Fraser has a nice setup that works just fine........ :beer good:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » February 12th, 2018, 4:07 pm

Dave,
I agree with bud37's assessment of your situation.
Don't give the job to the marina it will end up costing you major $$$. With good guidance up here in the forum increasing your house battery capacity is definitely a DIY job. If I did it pretty much anyone can.
If the batteries in there at the moment are really healthy the only thing you have to be concerned about for your trip is if they can keep your fridge running overnight and still start your engines in the morning.
Shore Power is still a pretty scarce commodity at the locks. I have included a link below where you can step through each lock and you can see where they have power. I know Lyndon's company Dock Links would be a great resource for you on this trip
I feel your angst to get going. We bought our mariner shrunk wrapped on the hard in the late winter and had to wait for our vendor to get the boat moved up to Orillia from Whitby.... I thought it was never going to get there.

Cheers Fraser
https://www.trentsevern.com/index.php/s ... /1-trenton
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Return to “Electrical”