Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

530 Water tank replacement options

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
gtmopat1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 53' Voyager

530 Water tank replacement options

Postby gtmopat1 » February 13th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Hello All.
I have leaks on both my fresh water tanks along the top edges. Has anyone replaced their water tanks and if so where did you purchase them from. Were they similar in shape or did you go with straight rectangular tanks. Thanks very much Pat

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: 530 Water tank replacement options

Postby Lyndon670 » February 13th, 2018, 6:05 pm

Hey Pat,

I have not replaced mine on my 506 - but, on my previous boat I did make a repair to mine using PL Premium adhesive.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 13th, 2018, 8:47 pm

Welcome aboard Pat. Unless they are really easy to access and remove or budget is no concern I agree with Lyndon on considering the idea of sealing the leaking seam before resorting to replacement, especially since it's just a water tank. If it's an aluminum tank you can try an epoxy putty product made for aluminum. I've seen that used on water and waste tanks with no problems as long as the surface is prepped properly. If it's a plastic tank, try 5200, I've seen that used with success as well.

Wish I could remember the name of a product/putty I saw used to seal a leaking fuel tank seam. It was orange in colour and used in the aircraft industry but not available to the general public. Fuel tank never leaked again though.

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Postby MakinTime » February 13th, 2018, 9:24 pm

If the tanks are plastic and you decide to repair them, use a 2 part plastic repair material such as 3M plastic repair #4247 used with adhesion promoter or 3M panelbond #8115 prepped properly your repair would last the life of the boat. Much easier and less expensive then replacing the tanks.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 13th, 2018, 9:51 pm

Don't forget Flex seal or Flex tape. I haven't tried it, but I heard it actually works very well??????????

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 14th, 2018, 6:29 am

MakinTime wrote:Source of the post......3M plastic repair #4247......

Forgot about that product. Good stuff.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 14th, 2018, 7:58 am

gtmopat1 wrote:Source of the post Hello All.
I have leaks on both my fresh water tanks along the top edges. Has anyone replaced their water tanks and if so where did you purchase them from. Were they similar in shape or did you go with straight rectangular tanks. Thanks very much Pat

Just a quick tip if you do decide to go the repair route ( can't hurt ) ,and you have a crack forming,before using whatever you choose to seal it ....drill a tiny hole at either end of the crack , that should stop the possibility of the crack going further after the repair........good luck man....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
gtmopat1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 53' Voyager

Postby gtmopat1 » February 14th, 2018, 10:46 am

Thanks very much for all your responses. I am going to inspect the leaking areas again and review the options.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 14th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Are the tanks aluminum or plastic. I will assume aluminum since plastic normally does not break apart. This being the case they will be corroded from the inside and repair is next to impossible however my experience was impossible. If plastic, then I wish you luck with any kind of repair as they are normally polyurethane which is basically resistant to any type of glue and must be heat welded. I went through this a long time ago and after every advertised polyurethane adhesive product in the book was used and every cuss word known to man not to mention 2 years later, I finally cut open the floor, removed the tank and had it professionally welded (plastic).
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » February 14th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Are the tanks aluminum or plastic. I will assume aluminum since plastic normally does not break apart. This being the case they will be corroded from the inside and repair is next to impossible however my experience was impossible. If plastic, then I wish you luck with any kind of repair as they are normally polyurethane which is basically resistant to any type of glue and must be heat welded. I went through this a long time ago and after every advertised polyurethane adhesive product in the book was used and every cuss word known to man not to mention 2 years later, I finally cut open the floor, removed the tank and had it professionally welded (plastic).

Hans nailed it - I spent weeks trying different products on to seal my plastic tanks on my previous boat. I was on a passagemaker blog and someone swore by PL Premium to seal/glue plastic. As I had tried everything else, I thought I would try it. I made the repair in 2007 and when i last talked to the previous owner in 2012, it was still sealed.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”