Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

530 Water tank replacement options

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: 530 Water tank replacement options

Postby mjk1040 » February 14th, 2018, 7:15 pm

Flex seal is great for plastic. Did a shower sump box last season and still holding.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 14th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post....If plastic, then I wish you luck with any kind of repair as they are normally polyurethane which is basically resistant to any type of glue and must be heat welded. I went through this a long time ago and after every advertised polyurethane adhesive product in the book was used....

I agree plastic is difficult to repair, pretty well known fact but I've had some success with a few different products. Perhaps the most surprising was a cracked built-in welded outlet fitting (plastic) at the bottom of a water tank. When I got the call to assess, the only thing I had on me to save the weekend was 5200 and figured it was a temporary measure until I can schedule tank removal and replacement. That was about 6 years ago. I still service this vessel regularly so I check it when I remember and am surprised it has held up this long with no leaks. Considering a hose is hooked up to the cracked piece and the crack encounters some stress from vibration, I'd say it's done very well for what was meant to be a temporary fix. Surprised, but I'll take it, and the owner is good with that too 'cause we don't have to tear the boat apart yet to remove the tank.

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Postby MakinTime » February 15th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Welding plastic tanks is absolutely the way to go. Using a nitrogen welder even better, but there are adhesives that will work for temporary fixes or even permanent. Welding plastic using the proper welding rod for the type of plastic is going to get your best result. if you can find a shop that plastic welds, they might be able to weld it right in he boat, as the welders are very portable. I weld plastic on a daily basis on various types of plastics and they all react differently but it is possible to repair!

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”