Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

BILDGE BLOWERS 560 VOYAGER

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
560deso
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 560 Carver

Re: BILDGE BLOWERS 560 VOYAGER

Postby 560deso » April 2nd, 2018, 8:42 pm

I was told by Carver that the blowers aren’t really ‘blowers’ but more ‘air supply’ for the engine. They all ‘blow air in’. There is no way to pull air out for the 560, I don’t particularly like that because I like pulling out bilge air before going to sleep since I have wet batteries that offgas

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » April 3rd, 2018, 2:04 am

560deso; If ur batteries are giving off gas as u say, then ur charging system might be over charging them. U could swap them out for expensive gel batteries, or figure out why they are gassing! Now I understand that all wet batteries vent some as a normal process of any wet battery sealed or otherwise. If u r that concerned about venting this gas, turn one of ur blower around to blow out.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 3rd, 2018, 6:57 am

Welcome aboard.
With the charger working as it should, wet cell batteries will still gas off a bit. I wouldn't spin one of the blowers around, they need to be that way for the engines. While AGM batteries would be an improvement in that under normal conditions they don't vent, in an overcharge condition however they do vent or internal pressure would reach a dangerous level. I think your best bet here to address your concern is to install a conventional blower that exhausts overboard.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 3rd, 2018, 10:33 am

560deso wrote:Source of the post I was told by Carver that the blowers aren’t really ‘blowers’ but more ‘air supply’ for the engine. They all ‘blow air in’. There is no way to pull air out for the 560, I don’t particularly like that because I like pulling out bilge air before going to sleep since I have wet batteries that offgas

Welcome to the forum....
There is actually a fairly simple solution for your situation.....leave all the factory blowers alone for sure, you need the air.

Consider building/buying a battery box to fit all your house batteries ( there are certain rules for these boxes but nothing complicated at all ), this box will have a lid and to that lid you can fit a vent hose that can be led up to a thru vent to the outside.....this should take care of the off gas products which are basically Hydrogen which is much lighter than air and the box should self vent quite nicely , fresh air in holes in side below the lid then on out, no fan needed and will come in handy if you decide to equalize , keeps batteries clean and dry, and orderly.
Guys have been making these for years in various forms.....good luck man...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 3rd, 2018, 8:24 pm

+1 bud, forgot about that. I've seen those in some OEM setups, none had side vents though, just a lid that was not air tight and basically a blower hose fastened to a top molded flange on the lid. I still like the option of a blower though, may come in handy for other odours one day like a fuel leak, etc.

United States of America
PhilH
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver Californian 45 M/Y, 1990 Cat 3208 diesels

Postby PhilH » April 21st, 2018, 1:49 am

Blower related question to Carver. Forward head on 1990 Californian makes awful noise, but I cannot find out where the exhaust hose from the head goes. Apparently down between bulkhead and sliding head door. Where is the blower located?

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”