Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Upgrading Audio Video Equipment

Topic author United States of America
pitshop
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 350 Mariner

Upgrading Audio Video Equipment

Postby pitshop » November 11th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Ok, spending the weekend on our 350 Mariner and watching some college football. It has never been more clearer than now that I MUST upgrade the 19" TV! Will be upgrading ALL equipment and leaning towards doing it myself, but not sure which components are needed, above the normal head unit, amplifiers, TV and speakers. Any suggestions on online sources for marine audio tutorials?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Upgrading Audio Video Equipment

Postby Midnightsun » November 11th, 2017, 5:07 pm

No need to go overboard regarding the sound IMHO. Boats in general are rather small compared to home. I have had great results with simply a good quality sound bar. Opt for a smart TV as then you have quite a few more options when located where you have wifi. Do not bother locating a 12v unit, a small inverter will handle the TV fine as they draw so little now a days. Here is my 27" Visio smart TV with a Bose sound bar. I located the dvd player behind the TV along with the satellite receiver. Using a small 400w pure sine wave inverter to power it all. Makes for a neat installation.

https://midnightsun.smugmug.com/Midnigh ... -qhWHKdG/A
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
pitshop
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 350 Mariner

Postby pitshop » November 12th, 2017, 11:02 am

Thanks, Hans. So, if I am understanding you correctly, you are saying the TV set up is seperate from the stereo and speakers? I was thinking the whole system would be integrated, so I could use the 2 existing speaker locations in the salon to be used for tV and /or listening to tunes. Is that not correct?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 13th, 2017, 3:08 am

Yes this is the route I chose however as you know your initial thoughts are typically what is done.

Not easy trying to configure a remote control to operate a stereo system combined with TV unless it is dedicated home theatre.

My system allows one to listen to TV below deck while listening to tunes on the bridge since they are separate. If you have kids on board watching Mickey, you will appreciate this.

Fusion makes probably the best audio systems around when it comes to the conveniences and flexability and yes they do offer the possibility of home theatre.

As they say there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 13th, 2017, 7:54 am

In my aft cabin, I connected a separate amp to the TV and have a switch for the stereo speakers. The speakers are located under the berth on each side. When watching TV, you just use the TV volume. It's only stereo, not 5.1 but it sounds great. We hardly ever use the stereo in there so most the time it's connected to the TV.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 5th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Used a 28" Vizio. Problem is the smaller TV's are getting more and more difficult to come by. A standard small TV today is a 32". You do realize I modified the "TV hole" otherwise nothing will fit. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 5th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Black anodised aluminum trim in angle form from Home Depot. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Great Britain
Peter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 38ss 2007

Postby Peter » April 6th, 2018, 4:34 pm

I agree with posts above on the main lounge TVs in the bedrooms i fitted tablet brackets to the roof insert tablets & link to wireless soundbars & stream netflicks or Amazon etc using marina wifi or my cell phone as a hotspot!

Return to “The Project Center”