Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

LMS 350a Upgrade

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Iceagetech
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 2827 Voyager
Twin Crusader 220HP Inboards

LMS 350a Upgrade

Postby Iceagetech » April 7th, 2018, 4:28 pm

I have a LMS350a chart plotter (?) with gps, depth, and speed. Has a gps antenna and attached to an simrad auto pilot sytem that I never use. I would like to upgrade to a modern system. I just need gps, maps, speed, depth, heading, and boat info. Autopilot not needed and fish finder not required. Just need depth so I don’t run aground and screws don’t hit bottom. Anybody have any recommendations? Don’t want to break bank. I boat in MN on Mississippi River.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: LMS 350a Upgrade

Postby bud37 » April 7th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Garmin, gpsmap series....pick a screen size....touch screen ,intuitive, was very happy with it on other boats, just bought another new one to replace ray marine stuff.....check em out....thats it for me.... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 7th, 2018, 9:47 pm

There are soooo many choices. Do some research and find what will work best for you. Screen size normally dictates pricing levels.
I bought a Raymarine A97 two years ago. It has about 10 million features. I use about 5 of them. I have had Garmin, Lowrance, Northstar and Standard Horizon in the past. I don't believe Standard makes chart plotters any longer, I liked the 10" standard I had about 2001.
I like may Raymarine, but I believe the Garmin units are more user friendly, especially for basic features.

Not sure who made your LMS 350, but odds are if it is from the '80's the antenna and the transducer will not be compatible with a new unit.
That being said, if you mount it on the bridge a unit with an internal antenna will do the trick. If you just want depth and not worried about fish or structure you may be able to adapt your existing transducer to work with a new non CHIRP unit. Speed will be provided via gps.

Hopefully I helped a bit.

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Postby MakinTime » April 8th, 2018, 7:48 am

I boat on the Mississippi too in Hastings! I am in need of a new one myself..I am leaning toward the Simrad GO series, probably the 7. They seem like a quality product for around $550, isn’t to crazy. And you can always add things like fuel flow or engine data later on if you ever decide too.

Topic author United States of America
Iceagetech
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 2827 Voyager
Twin Crusader 220HP Inboards

Postby Iceagetech » April 8th, 2018, 7:35 pm

Thanks for the information. I am down at Wabasha, want to make trip to St Croix this summer. My current unit is Lowrance and it’s from 1980 or 1990. I have been researching. SimRad Go series looks extremely interesting. Raymairne and Garmin also seem to fit the requirements. Looks like a need a modern transducer so I can get better sonar and depth. I am worried about inboards and screws when I beach, I don’t want them to hit bottom. Need speed indicator, GPS would be nice. Current speed is from a wheel device at stern of boat. Overall I am a tech nerd so I want a mapping, on a river I know so not really needed. I have tried just using iPad, but need sonar.

I have two helms but I only use the fly bridge. So I need the unit on fly bridge and need wires run. I am sure current system won’t be good enough. I do have an external GPS antenna. I also have an old SimRad auto pilot, never used it. I have noticed the system seems to run throughout boat, Have some units down below and not sure what they are. I am into computers but not sure of this system.

I am going to continue to research and speak to my mechanic at my marina.

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Postby MakinTime » April 10th, 2018, 6:43 pm

I currently have a Raymarine e80 from around 2005ish (I think) and it uses a thruhull near the middle of the boat in the engine he compartment. We beach almost every weekend and have never had a problem with it hitting the sand it is far enough back that it won’t hit. After my experience with the raymarine e80 I want to throw it in the river! Not user friendly what so ever and it’s just plain old.

Even though we boat the river it is nice to track your routes and such.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”