Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Sherwood e35 pump bearing

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Sherwood e35 pump bearing

Postby bud37 » April 15th, 2018, 12:01 pm

MakinTime wrote:Source of the post It is the bracket to stablize the pump itself, yep that looks like the bracket you linked there. From what I can see that bracket mounts to the starboard side of the engine and puts the pump inlets facing port side I need them facing the other way...I wonder if that style bracket could just be flipped around? Otherwise making my own is fine but I kinda just want to bolt it up and run, to many other projects going on!

IMO, bolt on means engineer to fit..... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 15th, 2018, 2:35 pm

MakinTime wrote:Source of the post It is the bracket to stablize the pump itself, yep that looks like the bracket you linked there. From what I can see that bracket mounts to the starboard side of the engine and puts the pump inlets facing port side I need them facing the other way...I wonder if that style bracket could just be flipped around? Otherwise making my own is fine but I kinda just want to bolt it up and run, to many other projects going on!

There is a pump with the support bolted on the opposite end.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » April 16th, 2018, 6:33 am

So when u go to the crank style pump do u have to get custom hoses and plumbing to get the raw water where it has to go or will regular hoses work in most cases? It seems to me that even though changing impellers becomes easier to do because of access, the time and extra cost to re-plumb is it really worth it. Present impeller change only takes about an hour per pump now?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Topic author United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Postby MakinTime » April 16th, 2018, 6:47 am

Yes I will have to get new hoses they just need to be a bit longer (I figured 10ft @$60)I found the f6 pump online for $120 each vs $130 for a major rebuild for the Sherwood. To me the entirely new pump is the way to go. I am also not for sure on the condition of my Sherwood pump housing on the port side being the bearing has play and the shaft looks a little rough as well.

MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate

Postby MakinTime » April 17th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Just ordered the pumps today decided to order from Marine parts source a little priceier but there shipping is free and the stuff always arrives the next day. $159 for each pump and $36 for 6 feet of hose. Decided to figure out my own mount as we just got 18” of snow I have some time to fab something up!

Can’t wait for the peace of mind having new pumps!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 17th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Good stuff.....honestly I think the only challenge with the install will be to get the pumps to rotate on center correctly....the closer the better.....looking forward to hear how your install goes....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate

Postby MakinTime » April 19th, 2018, 6:31 am

Got the pumps today...should I take the impellers out and spin them in the correct orientation for my reverse rotation motor? I’m assuming they will be fine once I fire up motor and correct itself. Thanks for your input.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 19th, 2018, 7:01 am

MakinTime wrote:Source of the post Got the pumps today...should I take the impellers out and spin them in the correct orientation for my reverse rotation motor? I’m assuming they will be fine once I fire up motor and correct itself. Thanks for your input.

If it were mine I would take them both out ,inspect them , soap em up and put in the correct orientation.......never can tell how long they were on the shelf waiting to be sold......

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 19th, 2018, 7:42 am

In general they will flip to the correct direction themselves when you fire up the engine but you can do that by hand before installing it. It's always best to eliminate that stress on the few blades that are already curled the wrong way on the cam but if they are properly lubricated, this isn't that big a deal, I just wouldn't rely on them already being lubricated properly enough to eliminate the stress of flipping them in place. The most important thing is what bud mentioned; you don't know how long those few blades resting on the cam have been in the bent position. It's unlikely that they've been cycled periodically since they left the factory so it's best to be sure but you might be able to see through the ports if they've taken a set as you turn the pump by hand. If you take it apart and pull the impeller, just make sure you don't open up a can of worms by wrecking a gasket or nicking the two mating surfaces while trying to get the impeller out. Better yet, remove the cover, and turn the pump without removing the impeller and check that the blades on the cam straighten out when you turn the pump. Then just put the cove back on. Hopefully the gasket will remain intact.

BTW, the blades resting on the cam for extended periods is one of the reasons why I give my engines and genny a quick crank a few times over the winter. I don't like the impellers and other major engine components like springs, etc. resting in the same position for that long. Maybe overkill but it makes ME feel better.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 19th, 2018, 11:13 am

To add, sometimes with brand new, you may find sharp edges overhanging ports that need to be dealt with etc....just optimizing flow really....nothing overkill about rolling machinery over, good practice IMO........ :beergood:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”