Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver Mariner Automatic Shore Power / Generator Transfer Switch

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Re: Carver Mariner Automatic Shore Power / Generator Transfer Switch

Postby Helmsman » March 18th, 2018, 9:02 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Just an FYI, a 2000 watt inverter will struggle to run anything more than your microwave or a full size coffee maker. I would not try to run your icemaker with it, The inrush of the compressor starting will drop the voltage to the point that it will shorten the compressor life.

I will check the wattage/amps of the circuits prior to determining what the Inverter will power and sizing everything.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 18th, 2018, 9:50 pm

FWIW, in a previous boat, I ran an ice maker for years on a 1700W unit. Along with the continuous rating, inverters have a peak/surge rating that will handle much higher loads such as motor starts for a few seconds at rated voltage. The size of that inverter required some power management but it never really posed any unmanageable inconvenience. The ice maker wasn't much of a problem as far as power usage, once the compressor starts, it only draws a few amps. The amount of ice you go through will of course affect the amount of time the ice maker runs. The higher loads such as the coffee maker was a bit more taxing though, we liked our coffee back then! We ended up buying a coffee maker that had a large insulated carafe instead of your typical glass pot. It kept the coffee hot for a surprisingly long time and cut down on the amount of time making coffee or reheating in the microwave.

Stick with the pure sign-wave, your appliances and electronics will thank you for it.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » April 14th, 2018, 12:41 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Just an FYI, a 2000 watt inverter will struggle to run anything more than your microwave or a full size coffee maker. I would not try to run your icemaker with it, The inrush of the compressor starting will drop the voltage to the point that it will shorten the compressor life.

The ice maker is a “desktop”version. My main Icemaker doesn’t work. I am not sure if it is worth repairing. Will start another thread on that.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » April 14th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post FWIW, in a previous boat, I ran an ice maker for years on a 1700W unit. Along with the continuous rating, inverters have a peak/surge rating that will handle much higher loads such as motor starts for a few seconds at rated voltage. The size of that inverter required some power management but it never really posed any unmanageable inconvenience. The ice maker wasn't much of a problem as far as power usage, once the compressor starts, it only draws a few amps. The amount of ice you go through will of course affect the amount of time the ice maker runs. The higher loads such as the coffee maker was a bit more taxing though, we liked our coffee back then! We ended up buying a coffee maker that had a large insulated carafe instead of your typical glass pot. It kept the coffee hot for a surprisingly long time and cut down on the amount of time making coffee or reheating in the microwave.

Stick with the pure sign-wave, your appliances and electronics will thank you for it.

It will be a pure sine wave, for sure. For batteries, I am leaning towards these. Expensive, but the 4 volt provides over 400 AH. So, to get to 12 volts, you are spending a lot of dough. Anybody had any experience with these.

https://www.bruceschwab.com/advanced-en ... -group-31/

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 15th, 2018, 12:01 am

Not sure what your usage is, but it seems to me, firing up the genny once in a while would be more economical and help keep it in top shape.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 15th, 2018, 11:13 am

Those are AGM which is fine as long as ALL your batteries on board are AGM and your charger is designed to charge AGM batteries.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » April 16th, 2018, 11:09 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post

Those are AGM which is fine as long as ALL your batteries on board are AGM and your charger is designed to charge AGM batteries.

Today, I have four batteries. The one for the house is an AGM 105 AH battery that is two years old. The two engine batteries are wet cell. The three of those are charged by a 60amp Charles charger through an isolator that can be set for AGM, wet cell, or gel. The generator battery is on a separate 10 amp Charles charger. The intent is to set up 3 firefly 4 volt batteries charged by the inverter charger, have the 60 amp charger charge the two engine batteries, and continue with the 10 amp charger for the Gennie.

I don’t see a need to buy the more expensive AGM’s for the Gennie or the engines which will help defray the cost of the Firefly’s. The new setup will also provide the ability to switch all three to the inverter charger if the 10 year old 60 amp gives out, of course, albeit buying AGM’s for the engines.

Edit to add: the current setup for 60 amp is for wetcell charging which is a compromise with the AGM house battery. That will be corrected with the new inverter charger.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » April 16th, 2018, 11:15 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Not sure what your usage is, but it seems to me, firing up the genny once in a while would be more economical and help keep it in top shape.

Might, but we do tailgates on the thing with a TV set up on the cockpit, anchor out a lot, and enjoy not being limited to DC if we don’t have to be. May also do the loop within the next few years. Personal preference, I guess.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » April 17th, 2018, 6:16 am

Well no one putting a solar array in too?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » April 17th, 2018, 1:40 pm

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Well no one putting a solar array in too?

Not sure there would be a place in n the boat to place them. If you have them, where did you install them?

Return to “Electrical”