Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Howdy Happy Boaters!

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author Canada
Senorjeem
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 350 Mariner

Howdy Happy Boaters!

Postby Senorjeem » June 5th, 2018, 5:49 am

After years of lake boating, and nearing retirement, I am closing in on the purchase of a 350 Mariner, with the plan of doing some coastal cruising as my spring and fall pastime. Going to look at a Mariner this week and I am getting really stoked about it. Gonna be hard not to buy it even if its deemed a lemon by the surveyor (not really). My wife and I have both taken day skipper courses in order to help prepare us for tidal games. Here's to another chapter and more adventures! :captain:
Just trying to keep the bronze stuff away from the rocky stuff :captain2:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Howdy Happy Boaters!

Postby Viper » June 5th, 2018, 6:32 am

Welcome aboard. Hope it all works out for you. Sounds like great retirement plan :down:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 5th, 2018, 7:28 am

Welcome to the forum ....good luck with your new adventure......... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » June 5th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Welcome aboard!
If the surveyor gives a bad report, believe him and walk on to the next boat.
I know too many people that bought when they should have walked.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 5th, 2018, 4:51 pm

waybomb wrote:Source of the post Welcome aboard!
If the surveyor gives a bad report, believe him and walk on to the next boat.
I know too many people that bought when they should have walked.

Well, I wouldn't go that far! If anyone read Pascoe's surveys, NONE of us would have our boats and this site would not exist!!!

You have to know what the surveyor is looking for and what he is actually saying in his report. I know a good friend who has a very solid boat and the surveyor they brought in for a recent purchase just "trashed" the boat in his report. It is an older boat, but NO ONE in our marina (and we have several very seasoned mariners) would have faulted the boat on what that surveyor wrote.

Topic author Canada
Senorjeem
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Senorjeem » June 5th, 2018, 10:54 pm

Well, as I understand it, Surveyor reports are neither good, nor bad really. They are just a cold eyes accounting of what there is good and bad on the boat in question. It's still up to the buyer if they want to assume the headaches identified by the surveyor and to fix them or not, depending on their severity and if it makes the boat non-seaworthy. :banghead: Then you have to check and see how deep your pockets are :help: Once you have completed all of the necessary repairs and modifications, it's all clear sailing :lol: I might not have played in the salt before, but I'm no stranger to the fact that BOAT stands for "Break Out Another Thousand"

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 5th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Welcome Aboard. Retirement and boating is something that goes well together. Wishing you a happy retirement when that time comes and many adventures aboard your Mariner.

Hoping that the survey and sea trial go well.

As to surveyors they have to be objective and include the good and possibly any bad in their assessments of boats they survey. In my case when I bought my 1981 3007 one of the last questions I asked my surveyor was: If you were in the market for a boat like this one would you consider buying it? In my case he said yes so that played a part in my going forward with an offer to purchase mine.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 5th, 2018, 11:26 pm

Welcome to the forum. And best of luck with your soon to be purchase.
Make sure you are there with the surveyor. Ask many questions, learn what he or she is looking at and don't be afraid to question him / her on findings. The surveyor is working for you. Yes, they may trash a boat, but they are, and should be a buyers agent. They can help you negotiate a better deal, or tell you to stay away if the boat needs more repairs than worthwhile for a particular boat.

Topic author Canada
Senorjeem
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Senorjeem » June 11th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Well! Very disappointing look at a 350 Mariner. Is it just me or do any of you actually clean things up when you are trying to sell them? I could live with the fibreglass cracks in the deck under the windlass, likely from someone driving through a stuck anchor without using a snubber and letting a cleat absorb the punishment. And you know that you are gonna find evidence of a leak here or there, but when someone has to leave the top hatches and the portholes open just to let the raw sewage smell out of their boat and can’t even be bothered to sweep up the floor in the salon, I gotta say ENOUGH!! I realize that there are hoses that can crack and allow a foul smell to eminate from the bowels of your boat, but how do people live with that? Replace the damn hose! This boat smelled like there was sewage pooling in the bilge areas of the boat, far more than a cracked hose. And for this you want 90 thousand dollars!! I’d sooner make way on a stand up paddle board. Very disappointed in having driven over 12 hours return and having taken 4 ferries, to see that boat. If anyone has a line on a GOOD used Carveer 350 or 370, I would like to see them. Not sure where to go with this now. Sure seems to be a lack of quality used stuff out there. Scammers trying to pawn off hurricane Irene boats imported from the East coast also a major concern. :censored: Sorry for the rant so early on.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 11th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Yup sounds about right.....wow 90k for a 97 like that.. :-O ...I think we are giving them away out here, real nice ones 2001 and up, turnkey for about the same money. The broker should pay you for your time... :help:
Sometimes takes years and then you can get lucky with the next one.....again good luck and hang in there, the hunt is sometimes the best part.... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”