Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

RIB/Tender Retrieval/Storage System

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
petergbolton
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 444 Aft Cockpit

RIB/Tender Retrieval/Storage System

Postby petergbolton » April 15th, 2018, 7:16 pm

I have recently purchased a 444 Aft Cockpit and am researching suitable dinghy/tender retrieval and storage systems. I am somewhat familiar with all the systems out there but was wondering if anyone here would recommend any particular system they may have on their 444. Pros and cons etc.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: RIB/Tender Retrieval/Storage System

Postby bud37 » April 15th, 2018, 10:17 pm

Welcome to the forum and Carver....sorry don't have a 444 but this info might help others.........what size/kind of Rib are you thinking of mounting, have you got a larger platform ?....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » April 16th, 2018, 4:32 pm

I have one as well and curious as well. For a while I wanted to put my waverunner on there and I think it's doable but I wasn't too excited about another 800 plus pounds back there and the effects it may have on the ride.

When I talked to Carver they said keep it under 600 pounds. You'll probably also have to remove the storage box on there if yours has one.

I know the boat well if you have any questions.

Good luck with it!

petergbolton
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby petergbolton » April 16th, 2018, 8:02 pm

It is the standard Swim Platform, 13' wide and 3' deep. Was looking at a 10' to 10 1/2' Rib. Read somewhere that there is an aftermarket swim platform which is deeper than 3'. Anyone familiar with that? Putting a dinghy on the existing platform leaves hardly any room to get by it with some of the systems out there.

Interestingly, I called Carver regarding weight. They said to keep it under 800 lbs!! hoping to keep the weight of the rib, engine and retrieval system to under 500 lbs. I don't have the storage box, so that's not an issue. We are planning the Loop next year so unlikely to go above 7-8 kts.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 16th, 2018, 8:14 pm

Again I don't have a 444,but our swim platform is a bit shorter( about 25" ) than what you have and we have the Dinghy Caddy.....works great, keeps the dink level and out a bit so you can get by to get in the cockpit door that is in the middle on our boat......check em out, seen lots on cruising boats....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 17th, 2018, 8:00 am

You should easily be able to keep it under 500 lbs!! A 10-11 ft RIB should be ~150 lbs or less (those new aluminum ones are ~120) and a 20 HP motor would be about 125-135lbs. If you get electric start, add another ~10-15 for a battery and you'll be around 300 total.

A friend of mine has a 356. He originally had a Weaver Davit system, but didn't like taking the 6HP motor off all the time. He upgraded to a 9.8 and larger dingy and taking the motor off was no longer an option. He took off the swim platform box to give him some extra room (which you don't have to do) and had a shop make something like the Hurley pull-on davit system so he didn't have to remove the motor like you do if you use something like the Weaver davits.

It would usually take two people to get the dingy mounted, because you have to essentially lift about 200lbs to get it situated. I rigged a simple pulley system with some parts I had laying around for him to test and then he could do it easily himself. We configured a similar system for him and he's been using it ever since. He's even done it out on the lake in some rather rough conditions and he's pretty comfortable with it.

United States of America
AndiamoSeattle
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006, Carver 4137 CMY, Originally commissioned in 2008, it has spent its last 10 years in the Puget Sound, WA. She features the Volvo-Penta D6, 310 diesel motors (485hr.), 3 zone AC/ Heat pumps, fresh water wash down in bow, bow and stern thruster, 8.0KW Kohler generator, 2/ 30amp shore power input from either mid-ship or stern plugins. Bridge refrigerator ice maker, electric galley featuring an electric oven.

Postby AndiamoSeattle » June 12th, 2018, 5:46 pm

My 4137 CMY (2006) came with a Olsson / Rosekelley Davit. They are located in Seattle and supplied Carver for many years. I Have 10'11" Highfield ( aluminum RIB) with a 15hp. 2 stroke Mercury. This davit works great and hangs at @ 40' off the transom. Check them out online. Great people to work with, talk to Josh. 206-767-0505 .
JJ.

petergbolton
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby petergbolton » June 12th, 2018, 8:10 pm

Thanks. Looked at the Olsson system, which, I liked, but I think the Dinghy Caddy looks a little more solid.
...........hope you mean 40 degrees!!

United States of America
Seaquestered
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Voyager 530 2 X Volvo 480hp
I just bought her July 2014 in New England and will be taking her to Florida to be shipped to the west coast

Postby Seaquestered » July 29th, 2018, 1:50 pm

I had the Olosen system on my 4387 Bayliner and it worked great, dink in or out of the water in 1 minute, dinghy was a RIB with aluminum floor and 9.9 hp 2 stroke mercury.When I went to a center console RIB I had the local distributor motorize it.
Seaquestered
2001 Voyager 530
Volvo TAMD74 480hp ea
Marina del Rey, CA

United States of America
nautohm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Naut Ohm
1996 455 Cockpit Motor Yacht
Twin Cummins 6CTA 8.3 w/ ZF 301 transmissions

Postby nautohm » February 1st, 2020, 3:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am new to a 1996 455. There appears to be part of a davit mount integrated with the swim platform support. The broker said it is "stock" on the 455, but I can't trust anything the broker said. I put some pictures in my Mechanical Stuff photo album to show you what it looks like:

gallery/album/87

I'm thinking cradles mounted to a stainless or aluminum mount that either slides inside or outside the existing mount with a pin to hold it in place. The dinghy would be entirely behind the platform (I do not want to sacrifice my platform space or add trip hazards). I'm looking at 300 lbs for a 10-12' RIB or all composite with a 15hp that I can leave on. The motor should be around 100-110 lbs and the dinghy around 120-180 lbs, and another 30 lbs for gas can and life jacket seat bag.

Something like this with a modified mount...
http://www.dinghydavits.com/images/assemblyextended.jpg

Happy and safe boating!
Naut Ohm
(Scott)

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”