Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Battery Recomendations

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
VolNavy91
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 400 CMY
1st Date
Paris Landing, TN

Battery Recomendations

Postby VolNavy91 » June 14th, 2018, 12:05 pm

So last weekend the first mate and I anchored out for the first time in our new to us 1997 400 CMY (diesel). Everything went fine during the daylight hours, our 4.3 kw Westerbeke fired up like its supposed to and every few hours we ran the AC and charged the batteries. Then it gets dark. Around 11:30 FM ask to run the AC to cool down the cabin for bed time. I go out on deck to check the anchor light and I can smell the exhaust and what appears to be bluish smoke is coming out of the exhaust. We shut the generator down and go to sleep. Then around 3:30 I wake up hot and decide to run the AC one more time and make sure the batteries are topped off since the surveyor had said he suspected they were weak. The generator is cranking but will not start! I check the volt meters for the batteries and they read around 9.5 and the engines will not start. Open up the sound proof housing and let the gen rest for a few minutes. After a short prayer, it starts (still smoking. It's around 4:30 and still dark so I let it run to charge the batteries. Around 5ish the generator dies (low oil pressure light, later check the oil level and its flooded so some kind of failed seal has allowed intrusion). Run up to the helm and the engines start with no issue. We head back to the marine with a great story but with a few maintenance issues. First off the batteries, my house/starting set up is two 8D on a Pro Mariner charger. Any recommendations for batteries? I've looked at the RV/Marine Diehard and the NAPA 8D gel. I'm open to your suggestions and experiences. Thanks!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Battery Recomendations

Postby km1125 » June 14th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Can't speak to the batteries, but get that oil out of the genset ASAP and fill with good. You might have an oil cooler going bad that's allowing water to get into the oil, but you need to get that junk out of the crankcase before it causes any damage.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 14th, 2018, 12:42 pm

I agree, get the genny sorted out before building your new battery bank...are you sure its a 4.3kw.....good luck man..
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
VolNavy91
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 400 CMY
1st Date
Paris Landing, TN

Postby VolNavy91 » June 14th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll pump it out as soon as I can get back to the boat this weekend. Yeah its a 4.2 kw BCDT 60hz, looks like an after market installation by a previous owner.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 14th, 2018, 1:49 pm

I would see if you can figure out if it is the oil cooler and just bypass it so you can run the genset for a while with new oil and then change it again. Need to get that thing up to operating temp and run for a while to get that moisture out of the inside. Doesn't really need to run a load, but that might help get it up to temp. Bring extra oil to exhange.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 14th, 2018, 11:41 pm

I don't know that that generator has an oil cooler. Have you lost any coolant? Stick a cooling system pressure tester on your exhaust manifold at the fill port (rad cap) and see if it'll maintain a constant pressure. This will test the entire system from manifold to block and heat exchanger. I agree you need to get rid of the oil but before replacing the oil and contaminating the fresh oil again because of a leak, you need to find out what the problem is first.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » June 15th, 2018, 10:05 am

I am thinking that the genny is one of the most neglected pieces of equipment on our boats. When I first got our 350 we went out and ran the genny, is was belching a kinds of crap out and sputtering every time a load went on it. I got back to home base had the impeller done, changed the oil, put two new plugs in, and cleaned and lubed every linkage I could find. Ran like a dream after. Since then I run it for 15 to 20 minutes every time I am at the boat whether I am going out or not.

Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » June 23rd, 2018, 11:15 am

feeez wrote:Source of the post I am thinking that the genny is one of the most neglected pieces of equipment on our boats. When I first got our 350 we went out and ran the genny, is was belching a kinds of crap out and sputtering every time a load went on it. I got back to home base had the impeller done, changed the oil, put two new plugs in, and cleaned and lubed every linkage I could find. Ran like a dream after. Since then I run it for 15 to 20 minutes every time I am at the boat whether I am going out or not.

Cheers
Fraser

I found the same thing. The gennie very much likes being run. I try to run it once a week except for the winter when I have antifreeze in the raw water system.

Return to “Electrical”