Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1988 MONTEGO 2757 My first :)

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
tammymae17
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 2757 Montego

1988 MONTEGO 2757 My first :)

Postby tammymae17 » June 14th, 2018, 1:29 pm

Hi all!! I recently got hold of a 1988 Carver Montego 2757 earlier this spring and have been in the process of restoring her over the past few months. It's been an interesting adventure learning her every nook and cranny and figuring what does what. Got both engines working great, after fixing the propeller drive cable. Then I sanded and revarnished the stairwell to the galley, and all the trim inside, replaced all the shower curtain thingies and got that back up, got a memory foam mattress for the aft stateroom as it didn't have anything there except trash, buffed and buffed with all the oxidation (uggghh).

My current problem is the darn fresh water system, as the pump won't run at all. Checked the fuse (good), checked the wires w/ a mulimeter (good), check the tank vent line (good). I wondered why the hose from the tank wasn't draining the tank, so I took that off the tank and the tank drained nice clean water. Blew through the line with air compressor and showed to be clear, so I hooked all that back up and bought a new fresh water pump, Which I'll be working on figuring out how to take out the old one and install the new one this afternoon. Any other hints/ideas on this fresh water system would be great. I just don't get why the tank line isn't draining the tank... not even a drip... unless its a gravity thing with the hose being too level?? I'm hoping the new pump will easily pull the water from the tank.

Also figuring out the tabs as I can't figure out the gages on the dash to see their position... perhaps they are working either...lol. Planning on launching her this weekend, so I'm rushing to get everything together.

This forum has been REALLY helpful so far!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: 1988 MONTEGO 2757 My first :)

Postby Viper » June 14th, 2018, 10:56 pm

Welcome aboard. You should start a thread of your restoration and post some pics along the way. Might be helpful for others planning on doing the same thing one day.

You may want to look for a strainer before the pump. If it's clogged, you won't pump any water. Does your pump run but just doesn't deliver any water, or is it not running at all? If it's not running, could be lack of power or a faulty pressure switch. Use the meter and see if you have 12 volts to the pressure switch. Of course make sure your breaker at the panel is on.

Are you sure you have gauges for the trim tabs or are they trim gauges for the sterndrives (I assume you have drives). If they're drive trim gauges, it's likely the senders on the drives need to be replaced or you have a wiring or gauge problem. Are they Mercruiser?

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 15th, 2018, 3:38 am

Welcome Aboard, glad to see you restoring the old girl. Hope you have a great season. I had to replace the fresh water system pump on my Carver when I bought her. It was not an easy to access pump but I got the job done. Hope your install is an easier one than mine was.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

tammymae17
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tammymae17 » June 25th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Got the water pump replaced, but wondering why it's running even when the pump switch is turned off! And now finding out the navigation lights (which worked last month) aren't working.. grrr. All the little stuff.

Got her in the water and found one engine losing coolant in the closed system on one motor. The other one was quitting after getting hot, so I've replaced the coil which helped, but still having issues. Going to try replacing plugs and distributor cap next..

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 25th, 2018, 11:37 pm

My first "big" boat was a 1988 2757. Loved the boat, a lot of room for a 27. If you have the mercury 3.7 liter inline fours, good luck and god bless, as parts are expensive and hard to come by.You most likley have alpha 1 gen 1 outdrives. If you have an over heat problem, you most likley have to drop the lower units and replace the raw water impellers. The coil has nothing to do with temp. This is not a really difficult or expensive job if you are handy but you need two people to handle the weight.

The nav lights are most likley bulbs or corroded connections. Open them up, take some fine grit sand paper and clean the ends of the bulbs and the contact surfaces.

For the water pump, either you have a leak somehere or the pressure switch on the pump is set to high and cant make the required pressure to shut it off. Try backing off the pressure switch setting and see if it cycles. If you bought a cheap pump without the pressure switch, it will never shut off.

Best of luck.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 25th, 2018, 11:52 pm

Sorry, I missed where you said the pump runs even when the switch is off. Most likely a bad switch. I could be miss wired, but with only two wires that's probably not the issue.

As for the coolant loss, if you have the 3.7's, the chances are good it is in the heat exchanger. You can take it to a radiator shop and have it tested and repaired. If they find a bad tube have it closed off, as it will most likely be in the center and near impossible to repair.

tammymae17
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tammymae17 » June 26th, 2018, 7:51 am

That sounds like a good idea with a heat exchanger. I'll have to give that a try. I agree on the electrical for the navigation lights as it was left out in the weather for years. Little bit by little bit I'll get her going right

tammymae17
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tammymae17 » June 26th, 2018, 7:59 am

Another quick question... the electric outlets don't work unless I'm plugged into shore. does that mean I need to hook up an inverter box, and is there and is there an easy way to do that?

tammymae17
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tammymae17 » June 26th, 2018, 8:03 am

20180617_153846.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tammymae17
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tammymae17 » June 26th, 2018, 8:05 am

20180421_154342.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”